97 Tahoe weak start and running after starter replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, the vacuum seals you speak of, can you supply pics of them so I know what you are talking about? Where in Oregon are you? I may have a shop contact there that I can recommend.

Once you crank the engine with the starter the rest of the fuel and ignition and engine compression takes over to start it and you let go of the key and the starter is no longer in the equation. If the starter was loose it would make a high pitched metallic screech sound because of starter drive and flex plate teeth alignment problems. Hopefully it is not doing that. I still say the fuel pressure needs checked and what brand of fuel pump was replaced in 2008? Looks like you said the fuel pump was replaced in 2005 and 2008. Just 3 years later. What mileage on the cap, rotor, wires and plugs since 2013?

I am still leaning toward something happening when starter was replaced. There is an ignition wire at the starter solenoid that may not be tight, may be damaged or was overtightened and solenoid is now damaged. That should be checked asap as well.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, the vacuum seals you speak of, can you supply pics of them so I know what you are talking about? Where in Oregon are you? I may have a shop contact there that I can recommend.
I am in The Columbia River Gorge - Cascade Locks. Have uses Bobs Welding in Carson Washington in the past. Not on this vehicle.
So I just took it to the post office about a mile away. Started strong. Drive nice. Pulled over to fkio a U in the street to give someone a ride and it died . starred right back up. I aborted that attempt. In my way back home, a few blocks from home wide open stretch I punched it to see what power there was. It got up and went..and suddenly started acting like it was slamming on the brakes and then the " AntiLock" icon came on the dash. So I slowed down and got home. Put it in reverse, gave it gas fast backwards. Fine. In Drive gave it full gas..again. Like its slamming on brakes.

Once you crank the engine with the starter the rest of the fuel and ignition and engine compression takes over to start it and you let go of the key and the starter is no longer in the equation. If the starter was loose it would make a high pitched metallic screech sound because of starter drive and flex plate teeth alignment problems. Hopefully it is not doing that. I still say the fuel pressure needs checked and what brand of fuel pump was replaced in 2008? Looks like you said the fuel pump was replaced in 2005 and 2008. Just 3 years later. What mileage on the cap, rotor, wires and plugs since 2013?

I am still leaning toward something happening when starter was replaced. There is an ignition wire at the starter solenoid that may not be tight, may be damaged or was overtightened and solenoid is now damaged. That should be checked asap as well.
Message_1603296739734.jpg Message_1603296550904.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can't make out what the pic is about but that does not look like any gasket/seal I have ever seen in a kit but it may be some sort of rubber cap for something I have either forgotten about or have never seen.

Can you supply different angle pics, please?

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't make out what the pic is about but that does not look like any gasket/seal I have ever seen in a kit but it may be some sort of rubber cap for something I have either forgotten about or have never seen.

Can you supply different angle pics, please?
They are side by side, then inside the other, and the tube one is cocked so you can see down inside to the slotted end. They are hard plyable rubber.
I looked up Vacuum Caps and me say a couple sets in variable sizes.
20201021_135728_HDR.jpg 20201021_135728_HDR.jpg 20201021_135652_HDR.jpg 20201021_135533_HDR.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It looks like the horse shoe shape on the one is shaped that way to hold it where it is mounted at. If they are vacuum plugs, that vacuum leak would be so big that the engine may start but would never idle and stay running. Did they have any oil on them?

Now that I look at the one with the horseshoe shape end, I think that has something to do with the PCV valve at the valve cover.

If you have a vacuum leak at the PCV valve, that can cause the rough idle and dying.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It looks like the horse shoe shape on the one is shaped that way to hold it where it is mounted at. If they are vacuum plugs, that vacuum leak would be so big that the engine may start but would never idle and stay running. Did they have any oil on them?

Now that I look at the one with the horseshoe shape end, I think that has something to do with the PCV valve at the valve cover.
Thank you..no oil on them. I will have my brother look at it. Whatever A pvc valve cover is. Is that near the starter? I hate being this clueless. Lol

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No, not near the starter. It is on top of engine and attaches at valve cover and below throttle plate of throttle body with a hose. If that is leaking vacuum there it will have a loud, loud to me anyway, hissing/sucking noise.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

My brother said he had to riytw a wire over the heat shield because he found no other way to get it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17