97 Tahoe weak start and running after starter replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I am new here. I have a question about my Tahoe starting weak and running rough after a new starter replacement.
The first 2 starts were very strong like normal, with our being driven. The 3rd start was strong but driven about 2 miles. When I tried to start it, or was a weak start and I had to keep giving it gas to keep it running. Now, I can rev it up and let it idle without my foot on the gas, but it cuts out when I drive it. And almost stalls when I turn a corner.
I found a set of vacuum seals in the place where my Tahoe had been worked on. Could it be a vacuum leak causing it? It has always run strong and now not so much. I don't trust it. Message_1603296739734.jpg Message_1603296550904.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

It sounds like the shop may have caused a problem when they did the starter work. Did you ask them to recheck their work? When you say "a weak start" do you mean it cranks as it should but fires off weak meaning a longer crank of the engine when trying to start and then when does start it does not run normally?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Iowa. Glad to have you join Kathy.

Lots of folks here like Ron, who is an "old school" mechanic, that are willing to help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does sound like a fuel delivery problem and needs a fuel pressure test and report results and also look at the plugs and wires, especially on the passenger side where the plugs and wires are just above the starter. Do you know the age of the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

It sounds like the shop may have caused a problem when they did the starter work. Did you ask them to recheck their work? When you say "a weak start" do you mean it cranks as it should but fires off weak meaning a longer crank of the engine when trying to start and then when does start it does not run normally?
Thank you for responding also quickly! I also am in Oregon!
Unfortunately my brother and son replaced it in my driveway . Neither are mechanics. It took them , laying on the ground in the rain about 7 hours, but they got it done. And the rest starts were great! Very strong. Until I drive it 2 miles to the post office and had to start it. In my mind of understanding how a starter works, it seemed like it wasn't making as good a connection as the first initial starts ( after driving). Is it possible that it did not get seated and bolted down tight so it got pushed further from the flywheel? The latee starts was like it was trying to start, but if I didn't rev it up and keep my foot on the gas it would die. I had to drive it in the parking lot with my foot on the gas and the brake to go slow. Then it evened out.also in turning a corner it almost died.
But also found a set of vacuum seals on the ground. About the size of a quarter. Could those have gotten knocked out by accident which is making it run weak? Grabbing at straws here.
My husband and I owned a full service gas station with mechanics and tow trucks for 15 years. I recently lost my husband of 44 years and don't want to take it to a mechanic if I can help it.
Thanks again so much.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does sound like a fuel delivery problem and needs a fuel pressure test and report results and also look at the plugs and wires, especially on the passenger side where the plugs and wires are just above the starter. Do you know the age of the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires.
looking at records in 2013 had head gasket replaced , fuel filter , spark plugs and steering actuator.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looking at records in 2013 had head gasket replaced , fuel filter , spark plugs and steering actuator.
Further, in 2008 fuel pump relay, fuel pump module and oil pressure switch. 2013 plug wires, dist cap and rotor. 2005 Fuel pump replaced.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

As you've seen, some of knowledgeable folks here are already responding to your outreach for assistance. It sounds like a vacuum leak to me the way that you describe the stalling out and the need to keep your foot on the gas pedal, perhaps, something that got knocked off or damaged, during the starter replacement. However, the other folks responding here have far greater knowledge of these trucks than I do.

OP
OP
Molly454

Molly454

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

As you've seen, some of knowledgeable folks here are already responding to your outreach for assistance. It sounds like a vacuum leak to me the way that you describe the stalling out and the need to keep your foot on the gas pedal, perhaps, something that got knocked off or damaged, during the starter replacement. However, the other folks responding here have far greater knowledge of these trucks than I do.
Thank you Joseph, I appreciate it! I'm getting ready to take it for a test drive now. Wish me luck! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic