'97 Tahoe - oh god what have I gotten into lol....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
Well I did it - I kept hitting "Bid" on ebay and I won ... a '97 Tahoe LS 2-DR 4x4, 5.7L and 3.73, 147K miles... this is very much a "i'm bored, over 50 and i know nothing about fixing anything" project lol.

Anyway first stop was local mechanic who will tell me if I was incredibly stupid or incredibly lucky. My winning bid was $10.500 for a 2 owner and all services documented truck. I've been doing a ton of reading and creating wish list of parts/upgrades. This is not remotely needing to be anything other than a "well that was cool!" project. I have owned GMC Yukon and other GM products, so part of the decision was knowing how interchangeable between GMC/Chevy/Cadillac things can be.

All that said - my first question is - why is it so damn hard to find actual replacement seats online? I am constantly finding just "Seat cover" replacements - especially E-Bay. Is the best approach to just find a local pick 'n pull yard and get something there? I want to replace the front bucket seats with capt chair seats - which at that point I don't care about the leather quality because I can find seat cover replacements. Or is there some other source/approach that I've just not stumbled on?

Thanks and I'm sure this is just post #1 of who knows how many "oh god I have no idea what I'm doing maybe someone else does" :)

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Welcome, I’m in the same situation. Three words: “endless money pit” LOL.

Two doors are highly sought after. Post up some pics.

Seats you’ll do better on eBay. And there’s a seat restoration business in California that has anything you want but $$$$. Seats in pick and pull yards are always in terrible shape the ones I have seen.

OP
OP
J

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
If this link works, it is to the seller's album from the Ebay auction. I didn't take any pics when it was delivered yesterday. These pics are a bit too "optimistic" compared to what it actually looks like, but overall, it is pretty clean for a 24 year old, 147K+ mileage truck. I'll get some pics going when I've had time to really get into it.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this link works, it is to the seller's album from the Ebay auction. I didn't take any pics when it was delivered yesterday. These pics are a bit too "optimistic" compared to what it actually looks like, but overall, it is pretty clean for a 24 year old, 147K+ mileage truck. I'll get some pics going when I've had time to really get into it.

In today's market for these trucks, I think you did well. I paid more for my '95, about 3 years ago.

And if you decide to sell your running boards, I want 1st dibs.

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63