97 Tahoe 5.7 V8 Gross Dirt / Mud / Residue in coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dexcool was the official recommended coolant in the car's original owner's manual and the Haynes Repair Guide. It's also currently sold at auto parts stores with a giant GM logo, with years and models listed directly on the bottle, boasting itself as the official recommended coolant for my make/model vehicle.

With that much official endorsement, you'd think I could confidently use it without googling around but now I've heard from multiple people that it can cause problems, at least in high mileage vehicles. Whoops! It's frustrating when strangers on internet forums are more helpful than the official literature provided by GM.
far as i was aware it was more of an issue early on with above stated issue. even then its always a good idea to flush your coolant out after a while and replace it with fresh coolant. also again was supposedly part of its original problem as after it started to break down was when it was hazardous to gaskets and aluminum. i also just mentioned this in another thread where dexcool was mentioned again when it was first used people were mixing it with other coolants. car manufacturers dont use things to keep up with aftermarket, aftermarket has to make things to keep up with manufacturers.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with Dexcool. There was an issue back when it was first introduced but that’s an entirely different discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent