97 Tahoe 5.7..Bank 2 sensor 2 replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marbor

Reaction score
Good day to all

need some help on the best way to get the 02 sensor off. Just went under and this thing is rusted on pretty good. I got the p0161 showing bank 2 sensor 2. Just went to a mom and pop muffler shop and the guy insisted it’s the cat and wants over 300 to replace, could this be the reason I’m getting this code?
Before I dish out that kind of money I wanted to just replace the 02 which the code is pointing too before I let this guy rip me off.
Anyone have this similar problem?

let me know, by the way I have a 97 Tahoe LT 5.7 4x4

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get under there and soak that thing with penetrating oil like Kroil or PB Blaster.

Do that a for a few days and then see what you can do with it. Still might need to hit with some heat.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why would anyone say that a tech is "ripping them off" for quoting a $300 catalytic converter replacement? I hate it when that term is thrown around without any proof. You have a code that is pointing out either a failing sensor or a failing catalytic converter and one is less expensive than the other so the other recommendation is a "rip off"? Was any diagnostics done? Does not sound like it. You are guessing because one is less than the other. Why was the guy insisting the cat was bad? You did not say. Replace the sensor and cross your fingers because your guess could be right but with no diagnostics, either of you could be right. Also, how does someone "let a guy rip them off"? If you agree to a repair, there is no rip off involved. How well have you taken care of tune related components?

On my 2005 Z71 I just had a "known" failure of my bank 1 sensor 1 and it was replaced after proper diagnostics. I did not need the other three but I did replace them anyway because I wanted them all to be the same age and have the same wear and tear on them.

Use a good penetrant on the sensor and spray it several times over a 2-3 day period and then use the proper sensor removal tool/socket and break it loose.

Off my soap box now but IMO, the term rip off is used way too much when someone just doesn't understand processes. Your statement of ""which the code is pointing to" indicates.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as pnwvietvet said do your homework before tossing around comments about being ripped off without doing your homework. cheapest cat i can currently find for your truck is 260 bucks. you have a dual cat system thats fully welded together as a single piece y pipe. unless there's a specific noted reason why one cat is failing the other cat is probably not far behind. so if a shop is going to do the job they will replace the catted y pipe not just 1 cat. above conments about o2 sensor replacement are the best your going to do. penetrating oil and or some heat are the best options. they will either come out break off or come out with the threads of the o2 bung.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM publishes a diagnostic procedure in their manual for each code, allowing a step-by-step process for identifying the issue. In this case a scanner is needed for their procedure, so if you have one I’ll post the procedure.

Otherwise, you’d probably get a better feel for the muffler shop if they clarified their diagnostic process or if you got a second opinion at a regular shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberv96