'96 Tahoe - Pulling Front Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsagaas

Reaction score
I am in the middle of replacing the oil pan on my 1996 Tahoe 4WD with 5.7L gas engine. As part of this job will also pull the front differential and replace all of the seals. Does anyone know the approximate weight of the front differential? I do not have a transmission jack fixture for my floor jack but will rig something up if the differential is too heavy to manage once it is free to pull out.
Thanks,
Ken

bacon612

Reaction score
It will help if you have someone with you to replace it once you replace the seals. My just is that its around 100 lbs. You should be fine pulling it yourself tho.

Auto Parts Guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep I concur. It's somewhere in the 100lb ballpark. An extra set of hands is always nice but I removed and reinstalled mine by myself when I lifted my 95 Yukon.

OP
OP
I

itsagaas

Reaction score
Thank you. Appreciate the info!
Guys,
Thanks for the advice. I now have the oil pan and front differential out. With your advice I was ready for it when the differential started to drop from the brackets. I weighed it and the actual weight is 85 pounds including the right side extension (axle flange to axle flange) and fluid drained.
Thanks again,
Ken