96 tahoe blowing hot in floor with unit off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ldillio

Ldillio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not blowing crazy hot but warm for sure in mine....ac blows ice cold in backseat but front it is only cool due to the "mystery heat" its a 98 tahoe...I have been trying to figure this out too...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I only have front ac in the 2 door model

OP
OP
Ldillio

Ldillio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No one has any other ideas? I recently had the dash pulled to install an evaporator core, and they screwed the dash back down on the antenna wire. Not sure if that has any effect on the warm air entering the vehicle. You can't drive with the windows cracked at all or there's so much warm air entering that the ac can't cool the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the grommets at the engine-side firewall to see if they didn’t reinstall something. There should be one for the antenna and then however the heater and a/c lines are sealed as they pass through.

Can you pinpoint where the air is coming in at? Through the floor vents, the seam at the heater core...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ldillio

Ldillio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It blows in under the dash into the driver side floorboard. I'm unsure if it does also in the passenger floorboard because I can't really reach that far while driving. It's not necessarily coming from the floor vent because I can feel the cool air from the floor vent but if I move my hand towards the left a bit, it's the warm outside air coming in.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, yeah you might need to have someone drive around while you check it out. The only thing on that side that comes to mind is the boot where the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

There’s also a big electrical connector on the firewall under the master cylinder. It comes in closer to the parking brake, but that’s another thing to look at since, depending on how they did it, that is usually disconnected if the dash is removed.

OP
OP
Ldillio

Ldillio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They said they did not completely pull the dash, and that they only pulled it loose enough to get the box free. The shop however did crappy work. They stripped the threads on the accumulator and didn't inform me. Then couldn't find where freon was leaking afterwards. They also damaged the toggle switch for my light bar, lost my knob for my radio, and installed 2 of the actuators in the wrong location. Ended up having to go to a different shop to find the leak and they found the actuators were installed incorrectly because my modes had quit working right. The first shop denied it all, but all ac parts were brand new except the evaporator.

I've read on older muscle cars of some sort of valve installed to bypass the heater core during summer months to help with the heat entering the floorboards. But not really sure about it. The warm air enters with the recirculate button on or off.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the Tahoe/Suburban, there is a valve on the heater lines just before the firewall. A solenoid on the firewall closes this valve when the temperature dial is set to “max” to close off coolant flow to the heater core and, in theory, improve a/c performance.

There’s a plunger on the bottom of it that moves up and down to position the valve. That’s how you would know if it is working.

d72966d332ba7803b9c9772a21346b4c.jpg

OP
OP
Ldillio

Ldillio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cool I'll check that out

OP
OP
Ldillio

Ldillio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it possible that warm air is entering around the steering column enters through the firewall? It definitely feels like that's the area the warm air is coming from. When I put my hand down there, the whole area was warm to the touch.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be, I’m pretty sure the steering column goes through a rubber boot on the engine side of the firewall. It could be damaged or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium