'96 Tahoe 4x4 2 door rear end interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onebadsuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seasons Greetings !

I've owned my 1996 2 door Tahoe LT 4x4 practically since new , it was still well under the 36,000 mile limited factory warranty when I got it . From the very start it had the driveline clunk problem which the dealer seemingly made go away by pulling the driveshaft and greasing the splines . This "fix" never lasted very long and it had to be done multiple times ... up untill the 36,000 mile point and then I was on my own . Not many miles later somewhere in the 60's the sunshell in the trans let go taking out the entire unit (metal throughout) so I put in a HD towing 4L60-E with a new torque converter and life was good again . Shifts were vastly superior to stock unit , ect. But it still clunked. Fast forward to a month ago when I was pulling away from a traffic light on a road that was being repaved , it was only partially done so one side of the Tahoe was on a raised lane of new ashpalt and the other side was riding lower on the old roadbed height. There was a bang , some grinding and totall loss of all forward movement. The only way to get it going was to manually shift it into 1st and then it went "into gear" . Once moving it would shift on it's own if the shifter was put in drive. But from a dead stop it acted like it was in nuetral. Reverse worked fine and all gears were available. It just wouldn't take of from a stop unless dropped into 1st. Diagnosis :
Forward Sprag busted in the Trans ... so the replacement transmission made it to just over 100,000 miles before calling it quits . I replaced the one piece bellhousing 4L60-E with a newer generation removable bell type 4L65-e?) which swapped in fine . Thinking all is well again I went to test drive , backed down the driveway , put it in Drive and ... Bang ! GRRRind, grind. Clunk. VERY loud noises. Dropped the transfercase and split the case to find ... major gear tooth damage and fractures. Found a replacement, internalls checked out good so in it goes . Got the truck all buttoned-up and confidently go for a test drive ... BANG ! BANG ! Clunking grinding noise all over again !! Unbelievable . What now ? Turns out the rear end had taken out the entire drive line from busted spider gears . Now I need a complete rear axel assembly to swap in and don't know what I can safely pull from which donor vehicles or years . It's a 2 door 4x4 with 3.42 (GU6) can anyone point me to a suitable donor truck please ?!

Thanks VERY much and Happy Holidays !

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as the gearing is the same i dont think there is much of a difference.

OP
OP
Onebadsuv

Onebadsuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went to a junk yard and pulled a rear from a 4 door Tahoe 2WD and it did not match up . I was told after I returned the axel to the yard only another 4x4 2 door rear axel assembly would install correctly . My question was does anyone know what model and year other chevy vehicles could be swapped in to my 1996 2 door 4x4 ? OH , and Yes I looked for other 2 doors at junk yards - there was only one and it was stripped !

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
If you going for a direct swap the easiest to find is a 10 bolt obs (pre 99') it can come from a 1500 truck, tahoe, blazer, and suburban. 4x4 is a must, the 2 wheel drive axles are a few inches narrower. Measure the spring perches so you know you have an exact match. Also double check the gears, you don't wanna be sold mis matched gears by accident and grenade your driveline yet again.

OP
OP
Onebadsuv

Onebadsuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you going for a direct swap the easiest to find is a 10 bolt obs (pre 99') it can come from a 1500 truck, tahoe, blazer, and suburban. 4x4 is a must, the 2 wheel drive axles are a few inches narrower. Measure the spring perches so you know you have an exact match. Also double check the gears, you don't wanna be sold mis matched gears by accident and grenade your driveline yet again.

Thanks for the info , it would explain why all the 4x4 rears have already been pulled - plenty of 2wd axels though ... Best Upgrade options ?

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could always go for a 6Lug 14bolt out of an OBS.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for the most part yes, the 14bsf is a direct swap. Make sure the ratios are the same, you will need bigger u bolts and new u joint. other than that yes.

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
First off Welcome!

Sounds like youve been thru the gammet of repairs!

I cant believe a 4 door rear end wont work ?? What didnt match up?

How bout just rebuilding your rear end you have now ?

If you swap in a 14 bolt you'll lose performance and mileage, thats a Heavy rear end you dont really need.

I dont see why a late model half ton rear end wouldnt work either??

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT