96 2 door wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have spent quite a bit of time at this and im stumped. It was running fine but it had a leaky gas tank so i replaced the tank. While doing this the fuel lines were rusted on the sending unit part. I fixed those and reinstalled the tank with original fuel pump and sending unit. Went to start it and it wouldnt start. Turned the key over and fuel pump wasnt priming. So i dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump along with a new strainer. reinstalled the tank and same problem. Fuel pump not priming and truck not starting. I thought fuse or fuel pum relay. Fuse is good and fuel pump relay replaced. Still nothing. Checked the wire harness with a check light and there is power to the sending unit but not to the fuel pump. Ground wire is reinstalled and not broken. I didnt do anything else besides put in a new fuel filter. I'm stumped and any help would be very much appreciated. Every fuse is good and not blown. I drove this truck to the place where i did this and it worked perfect and then nothing. I'm hoping someone here has an idea and can help me out. I'm sure its prolly something easy and stupid being overlooked, im hoping anyway.

OP
OP

1996Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that between the hood being open and trying to start the tahoe several times, the battery had died. I put it on a charger and had power to the lights and windows but not enough to start it. I was wondering if the bttery being low would give enough juice to check to see if there was power going to the fuel pump. it worked for the sending unit. I just thought maybe the fuel pump relay required more power than the sending unit does. I'm not sure so any help at all would be appreciated!!

OP
OP

1996Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
update.... the wire harness coming fromt the engine bay had crud in it where it plugs into the harness for the fuel pump and now we have power to the fuel pump but not starting. my thought is maybe the wire harness in the tank came a little loose?? i didnt replace it like they suggested and im thinking now i may have to. ill see when i drop the tank yet again!!

OP
OP

1996Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
none yet. havent worked on it since saturday. its my my buddies shop. im going to try to go work on it tomorrow so if i figure anything out ill post it. im assuming its either the wire harness between the top pf the sending unit and the fuel pump, the one they suggest you change, or the fuel pump i got was bad. i still have the old one so ill replace that wire harness whe i get out there and if thats not the prob ill put the old pump back on and go from there. this has turnoed out to be a much bigger job then i had anticapated. i just wanted to swap the tank..lol. after this everything will be new except the sending unit!!

OP
OP

1996Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well...i replaced the wire harness in the tank that plugs intot he fuel pump and problem solved. after this deal...if i ever have to replace a tank or fuel pump ever again im going to replace the sending unit and all...the whole shebang!! glad its over!

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im glad you got it fixed man! And welcome to the forum :) A lot of people make the same mistake, but this sort of post actually goes in the general discussion section. Just for in the future :D