95 Tahoe Engine/Drivetrain swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug Collis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know the 1995 is a 'bastard' year. I would like to know what all needs to be swapped out if converting to LS power (most likely an LS1). I have heard The transmission, 4WD unit and the drive shaft are the elements involved. Can anyone confirm?? Appreciate any info.

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
I began to investigate this when I had to do the crate motor and just decided to keep it original. I believe there is some interface to make the cluster work and a few other things.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would need to do the 411PCM (computer) swap and the transmission shafts are different I believe, thus the need for different or modified transmission, torque converter and transfer case. Driveshaft as well most likely.

There are most likely kits available but your various other connections (AC, heater hoses, cruise control etc...) won’t line up.
Unless you’re getting a heck of a deal, the 5.3 or 6.0 in the NBS trucks would give better donor parts, not sure if the accessories are the same locations as LS1.

IIRC the LS1 was a corvette/camaro/firebird motor. I had a few and they were badass even stock.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About the only swap easily done on that is a carbed vortec, keep your computer, just use a different distributor or modify that one. I don't know if you are in a state that checks that stuff though.