87 octane in a C5 Corvette? Seriously??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s probably not any worse than running 110 when you’re not modified and lowering pre-detonation. The newer corvettes are far more stubborn with fueling than a C5 87=< is most likely fine under normal street driving circumstances. If you’re really worried about it add octane booster but at that point you wouldn’t save money. It won’t damage your engine or fuel system you’ll just not make as much power and I’m talking a handful of horsepower until you start exceeding 100 octane with a tune.

OP
OP
Kenneth L Nielsen

Kenneth L Nielsen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s probably not any worse than running 110 when you’re not modified and lowering pre-detonation. The newer corvettes are far more stubborn with fueling than a C5 87=< is most likely fine under normal street driving circumstances. If you’re really worried about it add octane booster but at that point you wouldn’t save money. It won’t damage your engine or fuel system you’ll just not make as much power and I’m talking a handful of horsepower until you start exceeding 100 octane with a tune.
I would highly doubt you could get any more HP from tuning a stock C5 once you are past 93 octane. Now if you rebuilt then engine and bumped the compression up to 12.5 to 1, I think that would make some more power and require 95-98 octane? Just thinking out loud..... Cheers!

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I basically said it wouldn’t make a difference on the dyno unless you tune for it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts