6L80 Transmission Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hairscramlber

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2011 Suburban 1500 LTZ 4x4 with 178 K on it. I owe about 10K on it and the trans just went out. Should I put the early estimated 5-7 k into a trans rebuild or get rid of it ? It is at an Aamco dealer now waiting for a diagnosis. The truck is in good shape overall and its done we well so far. What would most people do in this situation ? I look forward to any advice you can offer me. Thanks in advance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 2011 Suburban 1500 LTZ 4x4 with 178 K on it. I owe about 10K on it and the trans just went out. Should I put the early estimated 5-7 k into a trans rebuild or get rid of it ? It is at an Aamco dealer now waiting for a diagnosis. The truck is in good shape overall and its done we well so far. What would most people do in this situation ? I look forward to any advice you can offer me. Thanks in advance.

Get rid of it for a car payment? No way! I'd fix it. Should not be more than 5K for a new one with all the labor even but I guess it depends on your market.

OP
OP
hairscramlber

hairscramlber

Reaction score
Get rid of it for a car payment? No way! I'd fix it. Should not be more than 5K for a new one with all the labor even but I guess it depends on your market.
Thanks for the input. I love the car and its been my 5th GM Suburban , Tahoe, Silverado or Sierra platform. My last 2005 Suburban I ran to 360K and still sold if for 5K. Has anyone used Aamco for a rebuild ? They are telling me their are a lot of upgrades to do in those trans's to make them last.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get reman 6l80e's for like $2k with a core...save yourself $5,000 and spend a weekend swapping the trans yourself....dealer will have to program the TCM on new trans

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I think Amcco is looking out for their best interests not yours. The dealer sells those transmisions w a 3yr warranty for 3.5k. I would find a transmision shop that can install the tranny for 5 to 6 hundred bucks and buy the tranny from your local chevy dealer. You will be better off this way, better warranty and oem quality. I have had several transmisions rebuilt and will not go this route again.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I love the car and its been my 5th GM Suburban , Tahoe, Silverado or Sierra platform. My last 2005 Suburban I ran to 360K and still sold if for 5K. Has anyone used Aamco for a rebuild ? They are telling me their are a lot of upgrades to do in those trans's to make them last.

Bunk, they are more durable than the 4-speeds. You can beef them up, visit Sonnax's website, but factory parts will last another 170K or more with clean fluid every 40K miles.

Look, you can get a GM transmission for about $5K installed with a 100K mile warranty. Several guys on here have done that recently but I also realize they kinda have you over a barrel unless you get her towed out of there.

Winston Falkenly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Suburban that just turned over 150k miles and the transmission won't shift out of 4th anymore. I took it to my local mechanic in the Cookeville, TN area if anyone here is familiar and they wanted about 6k to rebuild it which I think is outrageous. I found this article https://discounttransmissions.mystrikingly.com/6l80-e-transmission, on remanufactured 6l80 transmissions but I've never thought they were different than rebuilt ones. What do y'all think?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$5-$7k sounds awful high to me. I just had my mechanic quote me on a 6L90 rebuild, and I'd be around $3000-$3500.

OP
OP
hairscramlber

hairscramlber

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for your input. I ended up having Aamco install a remanufacured transmission. Total coast was 6k. The remanufacturerd transmission came with several upgrades and has a unlimited 3 years warranty which is transferable. I drove the car for about 10,000 miles before I traded it in. Ford was blowing out 2020 F-150s and I got one that was such a good deal I could not turn down. 59,400 sticker and they gave it to me for 43,740.00. I'll miss my Suburban but the new Ford F150 out performs it in all aspects. Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons