2015 Denali-6.2L Broken valve spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Gilkison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got the bad news, zero compression on cylinder 7 due to broken valve spring. Crap!
Intake side. 80k miles
Covered under warranty by it gives me concerns. Also, dealership says they can replace it without removing the head, how?

? are any others going to break?
? Anyone else have the same issue?
Seems to be a more common issue then GM says. 2015 yukon with 70k miles just had broken spring on #2 intake. Lucky enough it held valve high enough from damaging piston. It did mess up valve guide. They are replacing head valve springs and 1 rocker. Mechanic made mention of Yellow top springs from factory, but they have changed them now to a blue top he thought. Still waiting on what GM sends to see. Sure tempted to change springs on other head.

Silo113

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now it’s my turn. 3 weeks ago driving down the road, car shook under acceleration, loss of power, then terrible grating noise. Dealership diagnosed and fixed broken #2 valve spring (no rod or cylinder damage). All back to normal until... driving 3 hours away from home and same situation. Towed to nearest dealership who diagnosed and fixed broken #3 valve spring! Wtf is going on!? Are all 8 going to break? Should I pay to replace now for peace of mind or wait til I’m hours away from home again for another one to break?. 2016 6.2L w/ 62k miles

StephenW

Reaction score
Had same thing happen 2 years ago on my 2015 Yukon XL Denali at 56k miles. Had to keep driving it. Melting air intake and screwed up the catalytic converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keegan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just lost #4 spring yesterday. 6.2 Denali. Second thing they said was that there was no other damage...I'm sitting at around 77k on a 2015.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me thinks beehive springs weren't the best idea for the higher horsepower 6.2 motors. Even the Gen Vs are are having them break and at low mileage too.

Note to self, If I ever build a 400+ HP LS, use dual springs! They never failed me in my Buicks.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Me thinks beehive springs weren't the best idea for the higher horsepower 6.2 motors. Even the Gen Vs are are having them break and at low mileage too.

Note to self, If I ever build a 400+ HP LS, use dual springs! They never failed me in my Buicks.
Are they different from the blue LS6 valve springs?

keegan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here’s the pics they sent me today. Looks like it at least stayed in tact...

EA3DFE3A-ABE0-4B95-8C37-2B89E69FEB8B.jpeg 236C7F4B-04A4-436D-A0A4-48352B918BAB.jpeg

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - I'd change the springs in the other head while you are at it.
Seems to be a more common issue then GM says. 2015 yukon with 70k miles just had broken spring on #2 intake. Lucky enough it held valve high enough from damaging piston. It did mess up valve guide. They are replacing head valve springs and 1 rocker. Mechanic made mention of Yellow top springs from factory, but they have changed them now to a blue top he thought. Still waiting on what GM sends to see. Sure tempted to change springs on other head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844