6.2 Stalls/dies after highway or long drives dies coming to stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T1uya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thought i would post this for everyone that needs to figure this out.
im an auto tech and i couldnt find any information on this problem
the 2011 chevy with a 6.2 i was working on was dying on long drives when you stopped it would die and wouldnt start for 20+ mins. no codes and it has, fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark, air, exhaust, compression was all there after it dies. so people were saying its the fuel rails getting hot, that was not the case. or the torque converter lock up
so come to find out its the cam position
when you hook up a good OBD scanner with CAM data and you look at the "actual cam position %" and the "desired CAM position %" and when it would die it wants 0% and the actual position was stuck at 30%

so the fix
replace the variable cam sprocket and the center bolt that controls the oil flow and we also did the magnetic cam solenoid

PROBLEM SOLVED!

figured i would post this when i could not find any information on the googles

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Thank you for posting the solution to your issue.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 2011 chevy with a 6.2 i was working on was dying on long drives when you stopped it would die and wouldnt start for 20+ mins. no codes and it has, fuel pressure, injector pulse, spark, air, exhaust, compression was all there after it dies. so people were saying its the fuel rails getting hot, that was not the case. or the torque converter lock up
when you hook up a good OBD scanner with CAM data and you look at the "actual cam position %" and the "desired CAM position %" and when it would die it wants 0% and the actual position was stuck at 30%

so the fix
replace the variable cam sprocket and the center bolt that controls the oil flow and we also did the magnetic cam solenoid

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for sharing this! What do you drive?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

so the fix

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks for the post! There are a handful of threads on this forum about this problem, and the cam phaser is one of three causes found, AFAIK. The others are low hot oil pressure not giving the cam phaser enough oomph to return the cam to the parked position at idle (usually caused by a leaking oil pickup tube o-ring), and one person reported that the printed circuit under the fuse block was the cause of this problem for them.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like something that became a challenge for you guys to diagnose. When you hear something like this it just makes you wonder if it was something more simple like a bad plug connection that worked lose when heated from driving that was reseated when the hard part were replaced...... reminds me of the new 4whl drive truck that I bought. Brought the new shiny 4whl drive truck home and the next morning was going hunting and 4whl drive would not work. Took it back to the dealership and they diagnosed as a bad actuaotr ordered parts said it would take a month. Meantime when I got back home I really wanted to go hunting so I slid underneath myself and saw where my new **** dog pup had chewed the wiring harness. A couple of water proof wiring connectors later and BAM good to go. Note: **** pup got a boot in the **** LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu