6.2 exhaust on my 5.3l 2015 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monkeyemano

Reaction score
We have a full 6.2 denali exhaust system at the shop and im wondering the pros and cons of installing it on my 5.3 Tahoe. Stock bolt on headers and everything. Y pipe and all. Any thoughts on this good or bad please.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an expert here ... but in general, if you go to big on the exhaust, you'll lose torque down load. Exhuast is sized to engine capacity. So if the 6.2 is bigger than the 5.2 exhaust ... that's why.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes ... as long as the motor is "stock" to big an exhaust, would be more of a lost than a benefit. But if you plan on "modding it" ... that's another story. :)

Josh61513

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The factory manifolds, y-pipe, and catatlytic converter typically provide enough back pressure alone. I wouldn't hesitate to try the 6.2L ehxaust IMO. The exhaust may increase noise/vibration in V4 mode but probably not significant.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock exhaust is stock exhaust whether it be on a 6.2 or a 5.3. The manifolds, catalytic converter's, and muffler are all essentially the same. Only difference that I am aware of would be the exhaust pipe diameter, 3.5 inch for the 6.2 and 2.75 inches for the 5.3.

With that said, you could throw the 6.2 Cat back on your 5.3 and replace the muffler with a higher flow unit to get the best of both worlds. Exhaust pipe diameter increase and high flow muffler for a fraction of the cost of a full system.

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
I did it on mine. However, I put an OEM 6.2 on my 6.0. The sound changed and it is great. The 6.2 GMT900's exhaust is a lot louder though and the 2015 models. So, I don't know if the sound would change a whole lot.