5.7 vortec valve adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Autozone (or other) and get a set of the clips that stop the oil spray off the rockers and adjust the valves with the engine warm and idling. Back off the nut slowly until you hear it tick, tighten until the ticking stops, then 1/2 turn down very slowly. When I put an engine together I adjust those hydraulics before I put the intake on, can see that the lifter is on the base and see the plunger start to go down in it.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Autozone (or other) and get a set of the clips that stop the oil spray off the rockers and adjust the valves with the engine warm and idling. Back off the nut slowly until you hear it tick, tighten until the ticking stops, then 1/2 turn down very slowly. When I put an engine together I adjust those hydraulics before I put the intake on, can see that the lifter is on the base and see the plunger start to go down in it.
We used to use cloth pins.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lifters should have been sitting in a pail of oil for a day or two while you were doing other work. I am assuming you replaced lifters with how far you had it tore down. You did not say why you were tore down that far. I am also going to guess at the year since you did not supply that info either.

Back in the day, we could but all 16 lifters in an oil can we would cut the top half off, then fill with oil after placing the lifters in it. Ready to go after a few days.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Back in the day still works for me. It is my comfort zone. Many advances made with rigs since then but old habits are hard to break, especially when doing them makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the "Old School" method. I prefer 1/8 turn on my vortecs, for other people 1/4-1/2 turn. I've always been of the opinion I'd rather have a valve loose and hear it, than be too tight and not notice till its too late. Also at a 1/8 turn the roller cam acts alot more like solid lifters. Shows on the dyno. An extra set of valve covers cut out is very helpful to keep cleanup simpler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon