5.3L Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK - good to know. This is why I am asking questions. I was curious to see if the 2900 would be appropriate even with the installation of higher flowing heads, a bigger cam, plus exhaust upgrades but you seem to state factually that the 2300 or even the 1900 would be appropriate. With the engine upgrades would a pully then be appropriate (boost increase from 6~8 to 8~10 or more)? With the added heat of higher boost I would need to add a larger intercooler?

I've got a lot of info to gather before I dive in. Still haven't decided if I am going to order a new 2017 or try and wait on a deal for a leftover 2016 at the end of the year.

According to two dealers here in the southeast, GM stopped accepting orders for 2017 tahoes last week, so I'm not sure how or if that effects the suburban or Yukon XL. One dealer stated that he thought the earlier than normal cutoff on 2017 tahoes was due to the upcoming 2018 RST offering, but he hadn't had that info confirmed by GM.

Essentially if someone was waiting until the end of the year for a deal on a leftover 2017, you may find yourself left with little to no selection....at least in the case of a Chevy Tahoe.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see "Denali" I immediately think 6.2L and 8l80 trans. The 5.3L won't make as much power and with max HP on the 6l80 rated at 476hp, I think the idea of a twin turbo or even a single is out the window unless I am OK with the 6L80 exploding sometime in the future. I really liked the Apocolypse TT setup they did on a family Denali but again even the 550HP I am hoping for will probably make metal shavings out of the 6l80 trans.

I need to consider that while dropping $10k to make 600+HP would be sick, I have a drivetrain that needs to support that power. Trans, driveshaft, rear. I still don't have the truck and parting with $50k+ on a new 'Burb reduces my ability to add toys so I am still searching the used lots for a newer one.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I see "Denali" I immediately think 6.2L and 8l80 trans. The 5.3L won't make as much power and with max HP on the 6l80 rated at 476hp, I think the idea of a twin turbo or even a single is out the window unless I am OK with the 6L80 exploding sometime in the future. I really liked the Apocolypse TT setup they did on a family Denali but again even the 550HP I am hoping for will probably make metal shavings out of the 6l80 trans.

I need to consider that while dropping $10k to make 600+HP would be sick, I have a drivetrain that needs to support that power. Trans, driveshaft, rear. I still don't have the truck and parting with $50k+ on a new 'Burb reduces my ability to add toys so I am still searching the used lots for a newer one.
I'd just save the money and save for a Denali and call it a day. But I guess if everyone were like me, the aftermarket performance market would die. I just can't see the point in dropping $10k in something to make it faster when GM offers a better faster version of the vehicle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 8L90 is rated for 650 HP and 635 FT LBS of torque. I'm certain the aftermarket can bump that up. Art Carr and Kenne Bell products allowed us to push that much HP and even more torque through the 200R4 twenty five years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3