5.3L Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I've been doing my homework but it seems there isn't much out there. Looking for performance heads and cam package for the 5.3L that comes in the 2015+. Looking to go FI and add a top end kit to try and maximize performance out of the 5.3. Hoping for 550+hp so I should be at 450HP or more at the tires.

While I dream about the 6.2L, (no replacement for displacement) it seems that from all the information I have gathered so far, GM has decided that the 6.2L RST package will only be available in the Tahoe. So I am pretty much stuck with the 5.3. I also want cloth and a 2nd row bench so a Yukon XL is out.

Parts list looks like this so far:
Whipple 2900 (intercoolers, +2 psi pully, intercooler pump upgrade)
heads? AFR? trick Flow? Lingenfelter? SLP?
cam? CompCams? SLP?
headers?
exhaust? Gibson? SLP? Corsa?
Custom BB Tune or dyno tune

Been searching the threads here and other forums but haven't found much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You don't need the 2.9L for your 5.3L, it is overkill. I would also recommend looking into the Maggie for these DI engines. The biggest thing we see with the Magnacharger over the Whipple on these torque request based systems (2014+ DI Trucks/SUVs). The Whipple systems use a bypass that is referenced to boost. The Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems use a bypass that is referenced to plenum vacuum.

The result is that the Whipple systems have a tendency to jump from vacuum to 2-3psi of boost at as little as a 1-2% throttle increase, whereas the Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems have a smoother, more linear boost build.

We run and sell both Whipple and Magnachargers and for DI vehicles, definitely have to tip the hat to Magnacharger for smooth boost application.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you're stuck with the tahoe though? Sounds like you can order a Yukon XL with bench seats and fabric instead of leather...??

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying you're stuck with the tahoe though? Sounds like you can order a Yukon XL with bench seats and fabric instead of leather...??
Sounds like he has a Suburban. If he were to buy a Yukon XL with the 6.2, it's a Denali with no option for cloth and 2nd row bench. And very expensive MSRP.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The base 'Burb and base Yukon XL are basically the same truck with a $2000 cost difference ($2k more for GMC). Base options are the same. There is no 6.2L option for the Suburban. When selecting the 6.2L on the Yukon (std or XL) all your options switch from the base SLE to the Denali which is starting at $69k and only the Denali offers the 6.2L motor.

Chevy will be offering a Rally Sport Truck (RST) with the 6.2L motor HOWEVER it is only available in a Tahoe and comes with LT and above interior appointments. I want the extra space behind the 3rd row and prefer the bench in row 2.

OP
OP
fozzi58

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need the 2.9L for your 5.3L, it is overkill. I would also recommend looking into the Maggie for these DI engines. The biggest thing we see with the Magnacharger over the Whipple on these torque request based systems (2014+ DI Trucks/SUVs). The Whipple systems use a bypass that is referenced to boost. The Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems use a bypass that is referenced to plenum vacuum.

The result is that the Whipple systems have a tendency to jump from vacuum to 2-3psi of boost at as little as a 1-2% throttle increase, whereas the Magnacharger and Edelbrock systems have a smoother, more linear boost build.

We run and sell both Whipple and Magnachargers and for DI vehicles, definitely have to tip the hat to Magnacharger for smooth boost application.

OK - good to know. This is why I am asking questions. I was curious to see if the 2900 would be appropriate even with the installation of higher flowing heads, a bigger cam, plus exhaust upgrades but you seem to state factually that the 2300 or even the 1900 would be appropriate. With the engine upgrades would a pully then be appropriate (boost increase from 6~8 to 8~10 or more)? With the added heat of higher boost I would need to add a larger intercooler?

I've got a lot of info to gather before I dive in. Still haven't decided if I am going to order a new 2017 or try and wait on a deal for a leftover 2016 at the end of the year.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So you can get a suburban with benches, fabric and 5.3 but it costs ~$2K more than the tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts