5.3 won’t run good when warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While on the subject, where does one find a proper tech 2? I've poked at it but can only seem to find clones or $2k units. Is there an inbetween where I could get a legit unit at a price reasonable to the home DIYer?

Don't think there are really any clones out there, just ones being sold that came from the Chicom factory that made them for Vetronix. They previously carried the OTC and Bosch name. All are slightly different.

In the last few days and weeks some here have bought them off ebay and Chinacardiags (also has ebay store). The latest software on the PCMCIA card you want is 33.004. Seems the going rate on their website is about $320 delivered without the case and $383 with it.

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While on the subject, where does one find a proper tech 2? I've poked at it but can only seem to find clones or $2k units. Is there an inbetween where I could get a legit unit at a price reasonable to the home DIYer?
I bought mine from chinacardiags.com and I'm happy. It didn't come with the usb software license like they said but I don't know that it really matters because there is a license file included on the software disc.

$308 delivered; had I waited I could have got it for about $10 cheaper delivered but not a big deal. Don't forget to use coupon code "chinacardiags" at checkout. It's not a fixed savings; the %-off tends to fluctuate based upon the price of the unit. IE, the Unit was listed at $259+shipping when I bought it and the coupon code got me 6% off, but a week later it was listed at $239 but the coupon code only gave 1% off or something like that.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Live in Poughkeepsie ny, I’ve replaced the cam position sensor, the oil pressure sensor, the MAF, and the evap canister in the back. tomorrow I’m hoping to replace all coils and see if that makes a difference. I’ve never had an issue where it literally will not drive once it’s warmed up, it sounds terrible.

It actually sounds like one of the much easier issues to diagnose and resolve compared to many other ailments.

A failing coil is something that can act up once warmed. But, it would cause a misfire on one cylinder and not affect the other 7. This wouldn't kill the engine and keep it from starting. Replacing a part does NOT guarantee that component is "good". All too often, a part, especially an electronic such as a sensor, is defective and bad right out of the box. Instead of wasting a lot of money throwing a bunch of parts at it, performing a few easy and cheap or free tests would narrow it down and save you a lot of cash, time and headache. A fuel pressure gauge kit can be borrowed from Autozone for free (you'll get your deposit back upon return of the tool) and takes just minutes to hook up and perform a test.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I recently picked up one of these MDI clones for about $120 on ebay Just got done doing a SPS reprogram/ update of all computer modules in my 05 Tahoe. It comes with Tech2Win which is a simulated Tech2 application. Let's you do everything a Tech2 can do.

tech2-gds-2-diagnostico-gm-D_NQ_NP_978025-MLM25369445334_022017-O.jpg s-l400 (2).jpg