5.3 to 6.2 - initial impression

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtocrs1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They get the suspension how it should be and now it will be a mess again next year with the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 6.2, is premium a fuel requirement?
From the 2019 Suburban Owners Manual with respect to the 6.2 motor:

“Premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM specification D4814
with a posted octane rating of 93 is highly recommended for best performance and fuel economy. Unleaded gasoline with an octane rated as low as 87 can be used. Using unleaded gasoline rated below 93 octane, however, will lead to reduced acceleration and fuel economy. If knocking occurs, use a gasoline rated at 93 octane as soon as possible, otherwise, the engine could be damaged. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline with a 93 octane rating, the engine needs service.”

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LT based 6.2L is much worse about spark knocking due, in part, to the direct injection compared to the older port injected 6.2L in the 07-13/14 trucks. I highly recommend using premium in the 14/15+ 6.2L.

I had an instance of a noise concern (which turned out to be spark knock) we couldn’t duplicate over multiple trips and it turned out the wife always filled up with 87 and the husband filled up with 93 so it was often somewhere in the middle and didn’t make the noise. The last time they came in the wife happened to gas up on her way and when I rode with her we finally duplicated the noise.