5.3 Max Tow or Denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles Land

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not an expert and I don't tow anything in the 7000lbs range. I do have the 5.3 with the max trailering pkg. I think you might be trying to lump trailer weight and how well the engine will pull together with your decision, and my feeling is they are separate.

The max trailering pkg just allows it to tow more weight because of the rear suspension, load leveling system, and gear ratio. I think if you compared the same trailer, that fit within the specs, you would find the engine of the 6.2 will pull better because it has more power. However, the gear ratio of the 5.3 may off-set the differences.

Hopefully someone with a similar weight trailer will chime in for you but I'm not sure the 5.3 to the 6.2 is an apples to apples comparison. If all things were equal the 6.2 should tow better and not feel as sluggish as the 5.3. With all that being said, I think the 5.3 tows very well with the max trailer pkg. but I haven't towed with a 6.2. Hopefully that helps a little.

I tow a 5000 lb travel trailer with a 2011 Denali. It does decently well as slower city speeds. On the interstate, we try to cruise around 60-65 mph. Fuel economy drops to 8-9 mpg. Going uphill or against a headwind, it struggles, having to down shift to 5 or 4 (sometimes 3rd) speed to keep up. More frustrating is that the operating temperature will bump up about 30 degrees - to about 240. Everyone tells me that this is within design specs, and it seems to do OK, but it still worries me a little. Had to do a tranny overhaul at 140k miles - wonder how long until the next. We are at 190k now. I replaced the radiator to see if that was the issue - no change. I was told it is the same radiator for the 1/2 ton as the 3/4 ton.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 5000 lb travel trailer with a 2011 Denali. It does decently well as slower city speeds. On the interstate, we try to cruise around 60-65 mph. Fuel economy drops to 8-9 mpg. Going uphill or against a headwind, it struggles, having to down shift to 5 or 4 (sometimes 3rd) speed to keep up. More frustrating is that the operating temperature will bump up about 30 degrees - to about 240. Everyone tells me that this is within design specs, and it seems to do OK, but it still worries me a little. Had to do a tranny overhaul at 140k miles - wonder how long until the next. We are at 190k now. I replaced the radiator to see if that was the issue - no change. I was told it is the same radiator for the 1/2 ton as the 3/4 ton.

Towing should be done in 4th or 5th gear, especially at that weight being pulled.

Ming15237

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have towed with both the 5.3 and our old Denali, and I will tell you there is a night and day difference between the two. The 6.2 rows with ease where the 5.3 causes you to dig deep into the skinny pedal. Remember there is no replacement for displacement. Unless it’s boost! Boost fixes everything:). But in all seriousness the Denali was one of our best tow vehicles to date, and that includes my 2015 tundra crewmax with the 5.7. Our boat and trailer are at 7600lbs. The Denali towed through the mountains of Pennsylvania with ease, the Tahoe STRUGGLES to pull the hills anywhere near the speed limit. Anybody advising to not use tow/haul mode is giving poor advice. GM’s tow haul is one of the best in the business, and it will save your transmission.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have towed with both the 5.3 and our old Denali, and I will tell you there is a night and day difference between the two. The 6.2 rows with ease where the 5.3 causes you to dig deep into the skinny pedal. Remember there is no replacement for displacement. Unless it’s boost! Boost fixes everything:). But in all seriousness the Denali was one of our best tow vehicles to date, and that includes my 2015 tundra crewmax with the 5.7. Our boat and trailer are at 7600lbs. The Denali towed through the mountains of Pennsylvania with ease, the Tahoe STRUGGLES to pull the hills anywhere near the speed limit. Anybody advising to not use tow/haul mode is giving poor advice. GM’s tow haul is one of the best in the business, and it will save your transmission.

When you say the Tahoe struggles to pull in the hills, is that a Tahoe with the tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ming15237

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When you say the Tahoe struggles to pull in the hills, is that a Tahoe with the tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. The 5.3 just doesn’t have the torque that the 6.2 does. And torque is what moves weight. If you have a lot of large hills like we do in Pa, you want the 6.2, flat area you will be fine with the 5.3

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The 5.3 just doesn’t have the torque that the 6.2 does. And torque is what moves weight. If you have a lot of large hills like we do in Pa, you want the 6.2, flat area you will be fine with the 5.3

That's about 82 foot pounds of torque difference when comparing Gen IV engines. 77 foot pounds difference between Gen V engines.