4x4 won't disengage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 2-DOOR

Reaction score
4x4 engages in all (Auto, 4 High, and 4 Low) after driving for about 30 seconds in any of the 3 drives, the service 4x4 light comes on/shift button blinks and it will not shift out of 4 wheel drive. I have to stop, turn off ignition, then when i start it back up it will go back into 2 wheel drive. Any idea on what the problem is?

triniguy26

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
have your selector switch tested,or just change it .could be a fluke,because the same thing happened to my dodge ram and i fixed it by swapping out the switch.Im sure other members would chime in........

OP
OP
98 2-DOOR

98 2-DOOR

Reaction score
i just noticed this, when testing the switch, i heard a clicking noise under the dash/floorboard area happen when the service 4x4 light comes on??? Also, when the ignition is turned off, that noise happens again, then when i turn the ignition back on i am able to switch back to 2wd...wierd?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
which switch lights are blinking please?

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

I will have a troubleshooting chart for you afterward that will help determine if it is your front axle or the control module both are easy to do.

Donwp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 GMC Yukon it shifts into 4-wheel low and 4 wheel High but wont shift into 2-wheel High

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep