4WD radical crabbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clifford Allen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
95 Chevy Tahoe just started crabbing in 4wd on snow. Plowed my driveway 1000 ft with no problem. At the end of the plowing session it started crabbing when driving straight. Couldn't drive back to the house cause it kept heading off the driveway. Take it out of 4wd and the rear tires spin. Tried 4wd low range and still crabbing. Funny smell like oil burning but not engine oil.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thread has been moved to the appropriate subforum and out of the 21+ area

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
95 Chevy Tahoe just started crabbing in 4wd on snow. Plowed my driveway 1000 ft with no problem. At the end of the plowing session it started crabbing when driving straight. Couldn't drive back to the house cause it kept heading off the driveway. Take it out of 4wd and the rear tires spin. Tried 4wd low range and still crabbing. Funny smell like oil burning but not engine oil.
Measure from the front edge of your rear wheel well to the center of your rear tire on each side and see if your axle is still parallel or if you have something that shifted. You may have something broken or bent in your rear suspension. That burning rubber may be one of your tires rubbing.

OP
OP
C

Clifford Allen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Measure from the front edge of your rear wheel well to the center of your rear tire on each side and see if your axle is still parallel or if you have something that shifted. You may have something broken or bent in your rear suspension. That burning rubber may be one of your tires rubbing.

OP
OP
C

Clifford Allen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tried to load a <1meg video but this site said an mp4 extension wasn't allowed. There was a definite blockage sounded like a pin was in a loose hole when you rotated the wheel back an forth like a hard stop. Almost like it was in park but it was in neutral. I never found anything. As soon as the brake drum was off it spun smoothly. I adjusted the brakes to get the drum back on. They aren't working anyway. Just the front. Put everything back together tried it fwd and back on the jack. Spun great, no noise. It's fixed I guess.

OP
OP
C

Clifford Allen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stuck Caliper? Either way jack it up and start looking.
I tried to load a <1meg video but this site said an mp4 extension wasn't allowed.It was the right rear wheel. There was a definite blockage sounded like a pin was in a loose hole when you rotated the wheel back an forth like a hard stop. Almost like it was in park but it was in neutral. I never found anything. As soon as the brake drum was off it spun smoothly. I adjusted the brakes to get the drum back on. They aren't working anyway. Just the front. Put everything back together tried it fwd and back on the jack. Spun great, no noise. It's fixed I guess.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to load a <1meg video but this site said an mp4 extension wasn't allowed.It was the right rear wheel. There was a definite blockage sounded like a pin was in a loose hole when you rotated the wheel back an forth like a hard stop. Almost like it was in park but it was in neutral. I never found anything. As soon as the brake drum was off it spun smoothly. I adjusted the brakes to get the drum back on. They aren't working anyway. Just the front. Put everything back together tried it fwd and back on the jack. Spun great, no noise. It's fixed I guess.

Easiest thing to do is upload the video to your YouTube account then post the hyperlink here

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are absolutly sure rear brake is ok you better take the rear end cover off and verify pin not sliding out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2