4wd crapped out on me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its a connection. I started hitting the dash around the switch with my hand and it flickered
Pull dash and switch and hit switches with canned air, some dielectric grease on the plugs, etc...see if that does anything... save you a few bucks to try anyway. I cant imagine those switches being too expensive tho.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock auto has two switch options one is $35 and the other is something like $150!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Intermittent issues like you experience could also be caused by a bad connection between the dash switch and the encoder motor. What does your dash switch look like?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, well, I'm not familiar with those. I have found a test method for measuring the resistances of the later AUTO model switch so maybe you could find something for yours. If I were you I'd do what @Galante suggested and give it a good cleaning, maybe even take the switch case apart if it's easy enough and try some electronic cleaner. And I'd be checking/cleaning a lot of the connections, even at the T/C encoder (shift) motor.

Another thing that could be happening is that the transfer case encoder motor isn't getting the T/C into the right position. But I think you said the 4x4 acted right, even though switch lights were intermittent, so that's kind of remote.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used to have that problem with my older Hoe, took the switch out re soldered every connection on the switch that was factory soldered and never had that problem again

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a connection. I started hitting the dash around the switch with my hand and it flickered

Probably just a dirty connection. Like another poster said, engage 4X4 every now and then just to keep mechanisms from getting stiff. Back in '02, I bought a fresh off lease Jeep Cherokee. Except for where a womans rings scratched the paint at the door handles, it looked and smelled brand new. When I first tried to use 4X4, I couldn't get the engagement lever to move. I got a bit irritated and put some meat to it and ot pooped into place. It never stuck after that. I mentioned that to the dealer service department and the service writer said they are stiff from the factory and it was probably never put into 4X4.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good input guys. I pushed a carolla out of a driveway with the hoe today. This thing is a beast. We have a foot of snow here in seattle

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st