4wd crapped out on me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It snows one day a year in western washington and that's why i bought a 4wd tahoe.

I come outside this morning and to my surprise there is at least 5 inches of snow on the ground. So I push the 4hi button, it turn on and works great!!! I was very pleased with the performance!

I stop to get gas 20 minutes later, turn the car off, turn it back on.... no lights.
No 2hi light, no 4hi high light, nothing.

When I push the 4hi button i can hear something like switching over but it's not driving like its in 4hi

Pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At least yours indicates when it's in trouble. I'm currently troubleshooting my NBS 4wd since the front diff engages in AUTO but not in 4hi. Lights are normal, and no codes.

My new Tech2 has been helpful to troubleshoot and at least eliminate some possibilities, although I'm still warming up to how to operate it.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure i know whats what anymore. The lights are so faint maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. It worked flawlessly today. I switched in and out of 4hi, 4auto and 2wd multiple times without any issues. It has really been a pleasure driving my 2 door hoe in the snow. Its performed so well my wife is starting to believe i wasn't crazy for buying it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure i know whats what anymore. The lights are so faint maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. It worked flawlessly today. I switched in and out of 4hi, 4auto and 2wd multiple times without any issues. It has really been a pleasure driving my 2 door hoe in the snow. Its performed so well my wife is starting to believe i wasn't crazy for buying it.
ha just wait until the first real annoying thing breaks and you have to wait for parts or a special tool. she will be back to thinking your nuts.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I bet it just needed some exercising.

OP
OP
Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am %100 sure that the lights are working intermittently so im going to buy a new set of the buttons and see how that plays out.
The system is oyherwise functioning so i dont have any reason to think its anything else.
Wish me luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep