4l65 swap from 4l60, anybody done it or have advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calebstahoe7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the forums. I have an 01' Tahoe with the 5.3 and it is 4x4. It only has 163k miles which ain't much for its age and it's my son's first vehicle. Long story short the transmission is well on its way out and since the rest of it is in such good condition I am considering just replacing the trans. I was just going to have it rebuilt at a local shop but I found this remanufactured 4l65, https://reman-transmission.com/transmission-codes/?code=4L65E, for about the same price as the rebuild. Does anybody know if this is a direct swap since they are so similar or is this much more complicated than I think? Any firsthand advice would be appreciated

OP
OP
C

Calebstahoe7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good point, I completely forgot about the core return being different. I will make sure to call beforehand

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Timbers68

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I imagine it's just a mistake but a 4L60 transmission is a 700-r4. And is one with a cable attached to the throttle valve which the amount of throttle you give it will increase the line pressure. Fairly sure you don't want one of those. Probably meant to say 4L60E?

Second, I would warn you to not use some random internet warehouse unless you have first hand knowledge about what kind of work they do and I'd suggest they should be close to you so if you have to warranty the job you don't have to ship it to them. I really recommend using a local shop with a good track record or other internet trans shop also with a good record/reviews. You get what you pay for in transmissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094