4l60E slipping/being erratic.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Glad you did the valve body repairs, those prices seemed too cheap to me to get anything of decent quality and how in the world does the trans guy know what needs changing until he actually sees the internals laid out before him? Ever watch Precision Transmissions on youtube? They do 4L60 tear downs all the time. Learned a lot about them from those videos!
Funny I watched those on your tube this past weekend to just get familiar with the 4l60.
I Ike to be as hands on as much as possible if i can't do it ill figure it out aside from rebuilding a trans lol.

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you can buy a complete ready to slide in corvette servo on ebay for about 70-75... I installed mine on my back in 5 minutes. Solved my issues and was probably the best upgrade ive done for the cost.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Well, you can buy a complete ready to slide in corvette servo on ebay for about 70-75... I installed mine on my back in 5 minutes. Solved my issues and was probably the best upgrade ive done for the cost.
I'm sold and I'll take any experience and advice possible. I'll order one up.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sold and I'll take any experience and advice possible. I'll order one up.
Go under at look at your clearances. I had to drop the crossmember and lower the transmission just to get my servo out. I still had to beat back the heat shield a little too.

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Go under at look at your clearances. I had to drop the crossmember and lower the transmission just to get my servo out. I still had to beat back the heat shield a little too.
Well hell that sounds like fun!

OP
OP
04Z71w

04Z71w

Reaction score
Geesh. I get a few a things fixed and operating smoothly and BAM! damn valve cover leak from the rear. Oil everywhere and the heater barely blows hot air. Can't be the heater core because there's no coolant loss, smells of coolant or coolant leaking into the cabin. I'm assuming maybe the thermostat.

Thinking I'm pulling this thing into the shop this winter and tearing it down now that I have all the parts that need replacing. We'll minus the catalytic converters and y pipe. So rusted and dented I'm just going to replace it with a new y pipe and some magnaflow cata for now.

Lucky I made money off the stupid rims and audio crap that came with it.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many here have had plastic heater T connectors fail. @kbuskill thread, newer platform but common cross platform problem

"As we all know, the plastic T-connector "quick disconnects" that connect our heater hoses to the heater core in the front and tee off to the rear heater core are prone to getting brittle and cracking and leaking or just breaking off all together (both have happened to me) and dumping all the engine coolant at once."
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/gruven-heater-core-t-connectors.107087/

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like old post?

4L60e is a awesome transmission... They cut corners in valve body though. Most times issue is a check ball going through the separator plate on valve body. Plastic accumulators tend to crack too.

It is all stuff easily fixed from under truck, fluid pan. With those miles I would just rebuild valve body regardless.

Only thing is, if you have already burnt clutch's then you have to pull transmission. That is why is vital to know condition of fluid.

Easiest to pull pan and see if you have clutch material in pan. And or whipe dipstick on clean white shop towel. If brown is either really dirty or burnt clutch material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224