4l60e question...is it junk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has reverse and shifts 1-2 fine. For a couple years now its had some issues with 3rd. It would sometimes shift hard into 3rd and occasionally slip under load or at high altitude. If I'd kept it maintained before I might've saved it but I neglected it and here we are. Lesson learned I guess
"clutches slip in 2nd except for a sweet spot around 2k rpm where it will bite 2nd and drive normal". Likely your 2-4 band slipping. Not going into 3rd could be all kinds of things causing that. That tranny is nuked and needs a complete rebuild. Black fluid is burnt extra crispy.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're game to pull it and reinstall it yourself, you may find a local tranny shop that would do a reasonably priced rebuild on a carry out. Of course, you're still probably looking at $400-$500 in parts once you include swapping out for a reman torque converter plus the build fee on top.

Still, if you're looking at $400-800 on a used trans... I'd very seriously consider that option. I personally will almost never install a used tranny just due to the complete PITA of pulling and installing one, compared to the work/cost of rebuilding one. Granted I do all my own, but even to pay someone I would consider the return on investment to well worth it compared to the risk of installing a used trans that may be near the end of its life. Of course you can mitigate some risk by popping off pans and inspecting the fluid and particulates in the pan, but this is not always conclusive as even in the scrap yard someone may have tried a last ditch tranny fluid change before sending their own vehicle off to be junked, or the occasional unsavory character who would try to clean up the pan and dump in newer fluid to make the trans look better than it is.

I would look at the amount of time you would spend looking for another trans, going to inspect possibly a couple of transmissions, pulling the trans yourself if in a pick and pull lot, and then I would add 50% more time again to account for risk of getting a bad used trans and having to go thru the process again. Calculate how much you would make had you spent the same time working at your job or on a side job, and compare that to the increase in cost of a reman trans.

At the end of the day nobody knows your situation better than you, so do what you feel fits your situation best, but from my experience this is the advice I would give. Best of luck and Merry Christmas!

justirv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, first post on this forum with a question about my transmissions housing. 2004 4l60e with 180k miles. I recently lost the ability to shift past 2nd gear and the clutches slip in 2nd except for a sweet spot around 2k rpm where it will bite 2nd and drive normal albeit without shifting up to 3rd. I dropped the pan to inspect the fluid and found that it was pretty black colored with a fair amount of fine metal shavings stuck to the magnet but no big chunks. I then thought I'll at least flush the torque converter out and replace the filter to see if that helps anything before taking it to a shop. When I went to install my new filter I noticed what looks alot like a broken section of metal next to where the filter neck plugs into the bottom of the tranny. Through this possible hole I can see what looks like what I believe is the hydraulic pump. The reason I think it looks to be broken is because of the jagged edge that looks unlike the rest of the casting but there were no large chunks anywhere in the pan. Is it possible this piece may have been sucked up into the pump somehow and is blocking flow to the 3/4 clutch pack causing it not to shift? Thanks for reading and I appreciate any input, I'll attach a picture of what I'm talking about.
I have an '02 Z71 4x4. I lost my trannie at 167k. Mine suffered a horrid death as the rear planetary case cracked. If you are planning to keep yours, I recommend you check out the Sonnax parts catalog and their build sheets for varying levels of performance and strengthening. Agree with replacing the T/C, flush lines, and get a big cooler. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh