4hi or 4 auto on dirt roads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71hotness

Reaction score
I've researched and I keep getting different answers.
.dirt roads up and down hills, basically light trails.

Do j use 4uto or 4hi?

Any input is great, I've been using 4auto and it's been fine all my friends with tacos and stuff use 4hi but I just use 4auto

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've researched and I keep getting different answers.
.dirt roads up and down hills, basically light trails.

Do j use 4uto or 4hi?

Any input is great, I've been using 4auto and it's been fine all my friends with tacos and stuff use 4hi but I just use 4auto
Use 4-auto for light off-roading ~ it puts the least amount of wear and tear on your drivetrain. You'd be surprised how far 2wd and a good set of tires will get you. 4-auto until you feel a lot of slip.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
personally I would go 2wd until you are forced to use 4hi or 4low, you don't need it unless you need it like a steep muddy hill or something, like Derek said you might be pleasantly surprised where 2wd will get you. when I was growing up my parents had a 4wd shop and we were in a 4wd club and we went to some pretty crazy places, we never used 4wd unless we got stuck and if we got really stuck then we would use the winch or another truck.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
personally I would go 2wd until you are forced to use 4hi or 4low, you don't need it unless you need it like a steep muddy hill or something, like Derek said you might be pleasantly surprised where 2wd will get you. when I was growing up my parents had a 4wd shop and we were in a 4wd club and we went to some pretty crazy places, we never used 4wd unless we got stuck and if we got really stuck then we would use the winch or another truck.
I agree. I use Auto 4WD in snowy conditions only otherwise run 2WD until I need 4WD. Rarely ever use low.

rzabel

Reaction score
I agree with the concept of keeping it in 2wd until needed with a few exceptions: I use 4Auto on roads with a little ice/snow where I could be going back and forth between bare pavement and ice/snow. I also use 4 Auto on gravel roads when traveling at speeds high enough that losing traction on loose gravel is a possibility. I use 4hi in snow when I know it's all snow of significant depth or on the beach/sand. I use 4lo occasionally off road for slow speeds over rocks where I want the lower gears for creeping along. At least that's what I like to do if the damn encoder motor is working.

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.....I'm actually looking at maybe upgrading to a southern state 2wd suburban or Yukon XL even though I live in snow belt.

RARELY do I use 4wd and for the maintenance and potential failures of the 4wd system I regularly debate the value for it in my own situation. (no off-road, good snow tires w/ 2wd, etc)

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.....I'm actually looking at maybe upgrading to a southern state 2wd suburban or Yukon XL even though I live in snow belt.

RARELY do I use 4wd and for the maintenance and potential failures of the 4wd system I regularly debate the value for it in my own situation. (no off-road, good snow tires w/ 2wd, etc)

Not using 4wd is just as bad as not maintaining it. I cycle everything in all my trucks at least once a month, summer winter spring and fall. I actually use it often in the winter around here.

That 1 time you need it you’ll know it’s there.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my drivetrain 'checked' a while ago... My front axle plug had quite a bit of metal on the magnetized plug..... Yuk..... ( But my mechanic did say the front wheel drive worked fine during a limited drive-test)
Is that typical? The metal??? I rarely ( mostly never) use the FWD here in Florida.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT