4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GDiddy99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, I just got done doing this to my 2004 Z71 Tahoe. I came across this thread and then found some take offs for pretty cheap from a 2021 Silverado. Initially a tried putting them on with my stock 17s. I could have gotten them to work with some grinding of the caliper or a spacer as many have done. The lip on the side was not a problem, just the radius. But I found some takeoff 18s that fit beautifully. The tires sit a bit wider with the newer rims, but it works good.

As far as effectiveness, I decided to experiment a little. I put on one side first and took it for a short drive. I expected with the bigger brakes on the one side it would pull to that side when braking. What I found was that with light braking, there was no noticeable pull, meaning the braking was pretty close to the same between the old and new rotors. However, when I tries medium and hard braking, it did pull toward the newer brakes. It wasn't a huge pull, but it was noticeable.

Once I got both calipers installed, I tried it again. I do notice a little more effective braking. Is it a lot? no. But it is there. I would say it's a nice upgrade. They certainly look cool. and I can see how pad changes will be even easier.

TLDR: If you're doing normal driving, it's nice, but not drastic enough to change anything unless you have to anyway. It will definitely help if you are towing.

GDiddy99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As a side note, I also got the rear 2021 calipers with the deal. They have the electric parking brake. Is there a way to retrofit those on the 2004 with an aftermarket controller, or something?

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I just got done doing this to my 2004 Z71 Tahoe. I came across this thread and then found some take offs for pretty cheap from a 2021 Silverado. Initially a tried putting them on with my stock 17s. I could have gotten them to work with some grinding of the caliper or a spacer as many have done. The lip on the side was not a problem, just the radius. But I found some takeoff 18s that fit beautifully. The tires sit a bit wider with the newer rims, but it works good.

As far as effectiveness, I decided to experiment a little. I put on one side first and took it for a short drive. I expected with the bigger brakes on the one side it would pull to that side when braking. What I found was that with light braking, there was no noticeable pull, meaning the braking was pretty close to the same between the old and new rotors. However, when I tries medium and hard braking, it did pull toward the newer brakes. It wasn't a huge pull, but it was noticeable.

Once I got both calipers installed, I tried it again. I do notice a little more effective braking. Is it a lot? no. But it is there. I would say it's a nice upgrade. They certainly look cool. and I can see how pad changes will be even easier.

TLDR: If you're doing normal driving, it's nice, but not drastic enough to change anything unless you have to anyway. It will definitely help if you are towing.
You'll probably see a bigger difference after they break-in. Now that I've been using mine a few months, I feel a significant difference. But then I'm towing 4000-5000 lbs much of the time. They saved me from cutting some lady's car in half a few weeks ago. She pulled out very close to go the opposite direction as me and then realized there was a car coming from that direction too. She came to a complete stop across my lane about 100' feet in front of my rig, including trailer, from 50 mph. She just managed to get out of the way before I got to her. But with my original brakes, no way I would have gotten in reeled in.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't hardly find this stuff in OEM - RockAuto only has rear calipers, all the GM Parts stores I've found say they're discontinued or unavailable - Amazon has the pass front, but it's doubled in price, opportunism from someone who bought a bunch, is my guess.

Supply chain issues? Can't get brakes for one of the most popular models of truck out there. Craziness.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Can't hardly find this stuff in OEM - RockAuto only has rear calipers, all the GM Parts stores I've found say they're discontinued or unavailable - Amazon has the pass front, but it's doubled in price, opportunism from someone who bought a bunch, is my guess.

Supply chain issues? Can't get brakes for one of the most popular models of truck out there. Craziness.
Maybe hit the junkyards for some cores---then swap at auto parts store?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is on backorder.

I have two sets of take-offs I won’t be using but they’ll probably cost a fortune to ship.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You can try:
BuyBrakes.com
R1concepts.com

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Everything is on backorder.

I have two sets of take-offs I won’t be using but they’ll probably cost a fortune to ship.
A few years ago I had 2 used rotors and calipers shipped from Ca(I think) to me in NJ. He used USPS, and it was around $70. I'd think if it was just calipers it'd be a little cheaper.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the '19-'20 test caliper making its rounds on here shipped to me, and I shipped it onwards to someone else. I think it was about $25 or so.

I guess I'm curious about if this '19-'20 upgrade is a significant improvement over the NNBS '07+ upgrade? I mean, my truck doesn't have the Hydroboost, and from reading through one thread about how to add it, it looks a little intimidating to me, so I'm not sure I want to go to that extreme.

Since the '19-'20 calipers are not (very) available new, and I am reluctant to add the Hydroboost, would I really be missing out if I just did the '07+ NNBS upgrade, since it's cheap, available and still (by most accounts) a good bit more effective than my current non-Hydro NBS brakes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons