4 Piston Big Brake Upgrade from 2019-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
This is on a 2005 Cadillac Escalade

I test fitted the calipers and they rub on the stock 17" rims. I could probably grind the calipers down, but I already have some other wheels that I want to run.
20210719_180637.jpg

I picked up some stock 22" rims from a newer Escalade awhile back.
20210719_181237.jpg
The calipers rub on the spokes.
20210719_181241.jpg

Here is the caliper mounted on my old stock rotors. My new rotors haven't arrived yet. I'll need to use washers to center it.
20210719_183036.jpg20210719_183041.jpg

I'm going to buy some 1" wheel spacers for the front. I want to run 33" tires, so I'm going to buy lift torsion keys for the front and spacers for the rear.

Last edited:

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on a 2005 Cadillac Escalade

I test fitted the calipers and they rub on the stock 17" rims. I could probably grind the calipers down, but I already have some other wheels that I want to run.
View attachment 345305

I picked up some stock 22" rims from a newer Escalade awhile back.
View attachment 345306
The calipers rub on the spokes.
View attachment 345307

Here is the caliper mounted on my old stock rotors. My new rotors haven't arrived yet. I'll need to use washers to center it.
View attachment 345309View attachment 345310

I'm going to buy some 1" wheel spacers for the front. I want to run 33" tires, so I'm going to buy lift torsion keys for the front and spacers for the rear.
That makes me sad because I want to keep my Esky Platinum wheels, which are a similar design to those. Is the interference bad enough to require 1" spacers, or are you just wanting to use ones that thick?

Fjs0001

Reaction score
That makes me sad because I want to keep my Esky Platinum wheels, which are a similar design to those. Is the interference bad enough to require 1" spacers, or are you just wanting to use ones that thick?
It looked like the rim was fully seated on the hub. The caliper still needs to be moved out another 1/8" so that it's centered on the rotor. I think I could probably use a 1/2" wheel spacer and clear everything without grinding on the caliper. You might have more clearance because your wheels appear to angle out more than mine.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell which photo was the 17" and which was the 22". But it looks like a little grind on just the raised part of the casting would make it clear. I haven't installed mine yet, but my 22" snowflake wheels just barely cleared so I ground about 3/16" of the raised casting. It only took a few minutes. The castings of the A/C Delco calipers that I purchased were really rough and irregular, so I ground them smooth, too. If you can grind a little on the calipers, it looks like you could at least get the wheel spacer size down to 1/4". Those don't bolt-on or require longer studs.

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ a couple of users have ground off that bump & then had no issues fitting rims

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between a little grinding of the caliper and a small wheel spacer you will be fine. I'd do the spacer first.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the stock 2014 sierra all terrain wheels will have enough clearance for these big calipers? Here's aScreenshot_20210725-083839.png Google picture for reference.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed these brakes on my dad’s 2012 yesterday. I drove it and they do feel better than the stock GMT-900 brakes but it isn’t a massive difference like going to the Brembos. If you’re expecting Brembo performance from these, you will be disappointed. They are an upgrade but it isn’t worth buying new wheels just to fit these brakes in my opinion, they aren’t that good. We already had AT4 wheels on his truck so it made sense. I will not be bothering with these for my Yukon since they don’t work with my wheels. I suspect similar performance could be had with EBC Yellowstuff pads in the stock 900 brakes.

SRQYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed these brakes on my dad’s 2012 yesterday. I drove it and they do feel better than the stock GMT-900 brakes but it isn’t a massive difference like going to the Brembos. If you’re expecting Brembo performance from these, you will be disappointed. They are an upgrade but it isn’t worth buying new wheels just to fit these brakes in my opinion, they aren’t that good. We already had AT4 wheels on his truck so it made sense. I will not be bothering with these for my Yukon since they don’t work with my wheels. I suspect similar performance could be had with EBC Yellowstuff pads in the stock 900 brakes.
Yes, you may be right, but this is the 2000-2006 section of the forum. So this thread was started to suggest an upgrade to the GMT-800 2-piston brakes which are grossly inadequate. The GMT-900 already had larger brakes (and rotors, I believe) so I wouldn't have expected as much difference. Plus, if you just put them on yesterday, are they even burnished yet. If not, they will probably improve over the first couple of weeks of driving.