<3k miles - 3rd time back for service. Seeking thoughts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickbeckss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here, love all the helpful posts and DIY posts on this forum.

I'm looking for feedback on what I should do next and at what point to start thinking buyback... it seems like the service department doesn't know what is going on. We've got a new 2017 Yukon SLT 4x4, it'll be back in for service a 3rd time (3 work orders, but I've actually taken it back 4 times and they used an open work order once).

Thus far they have replaced the Fuel Level Sensor and the ECM. According to my SA, GM technical support has been involved... I guess they authorized the ECM replacement. Below is all the history. Vehicle now has 3k miles but at the time this issue first arose it was under 2k miles.

8/29
- Initial CEL
- Scheduled Appt for 9/1 was 1st Available

9/1
- CEL was lit upon drop off
- SA said was off when scanned.
- Techs found nothing wrong
- DTC had code stored
- Picked up on 9/2
- Also identified issue with Homelink intermittent issue and ambient light sensor

9/4
- CEL again lit
- Drove directly to dealership
- SA did not create a new ticket, prior ticket from 9/2 had not been closed yet, he pulled used ticket
- This time code was active
- Fuel level sensor was replaced
- Picked up evening of 9/4

9/16
- Fuel level indicator varying dramatically with tank at approx 7/8 full.
- Indicator showed half, empty, full.
- Refueled, only took 3.6 gallons
- Gauge indicated full

9/17 morning
- CEL illuminated
- Fuel gauge indicated empty but would change while driving

9/17 evening
- Tried remote start via app and fob, remote start failed.
- upon unlocking and starting, rough idle (sounds like misfiring), red oil indicator displayed, fuel empty, lots of warning lights, DIS indicated engine at reduced power
- Turned off and restarted, upon restart seemed to be running fine, except fuel level still incorrect

9/18
- leaving work 5:15pm tried remote start and same issue as before was replicated, rough idle, red oil indicator, half fuel, DIS indicated engine at reduced power
- tried replicating issue after getting home, now remote start worked fine, and CEL no longer illuminated

9/19
- dropped off for service
- DTC's included P0463 (Active) and the following in History P2101, C0242, U0140 U0121, U150F, B127E and P0463
- Per SA, ECM to be replaced, soonest part available would be Friday 9/22, but I could come and pick it up because it is "completely driveable"

9/20
- picked up vehicle in the morning, will return when part arrives.

9/22
- part arrived
- dropped off the vehicle
- SA called at 5:30pm indicating that the programming was failing and that they had ordered another ECM (eta Sat Morning 9/23)

9/23
- Service received second ECM and replaced
- Picked up vehicle at 3:45PM

9/27
- noticed fuel gauge acting funny again, slowly dancing between 7/8 and 1/2 tank.
- Sure enough on the next engine start CEL illuminated, pulled code and found the same P0463 active

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang, sorry to hear your troubles.

i agree w/ others... GM buy back or get lemon lawyer

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch! That’s no fun on a new vehicle, very sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully GM can make it right because that thing is a lemon. These specific issues don’t seem to be common though, at least. I don’t think anyways.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean there's just a pretty basic system involving that... If I were the dealer, I'd again replace the fuel level sensor and install a new harness to the PCM and call it a day. Thats a HUGE PITA which is why they are dancing around it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service manual says that this is a wiring problem, not a parts problem. For the P0463 code, the problem is in the wiring between the ECM and the Fuel Level Sensor.

Might be time to take it to a new dealership or why not find the most experienced tech in the service bays and ask them to check it out for you? It's worked for me when my new car was in for over a month and they still could not fix it. But once the guy with thirty years experience got hold of it, I had it back in a few days. I bent pin or female receptacle can be a bear to trace, it takes patience and time and someone who can work methodically so as not to miss it.

OP
OP
N

nickbeckss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. It's going back in on Monday, we'll see how that goes.