30K mile service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martinajm

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with the dealer telling me that I needed a bunch of "recommended maintenance". I challenged them on why I couldn't find the Brake flush, injector flush, and alignment on the MFG service schedule. They then said that those are "25k mile dealer recommended". I passed on the $600 worth of work...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with the dealer telling me that I needed a bunch of "recommended maintenance". I challenged them on why I couldn't find the Brake flush, injector flush, and alignment on the MFG service schedule. They then said that those are "25k mile dealer recommended". I passed on the $600 worth of work...
those are actually good recommendations, people like me that plan on driving it to 300k+ get there by doing those things, the mileage part of it is debatable, I drive mine each around 20k a year and do almost all fluids annually. I might do alignments sooner just depends on if i hit a curb or something.
I learned my lesson a long time ago. A lot of people will skip maintenance and then around 160k all of a sudden it needs all kinds of work so they just dump it and go by another one and loose another 50k in value

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-Brake Fluid is in the schedule for every 5 years. Interesting, as on my Honda's it is every 3 years. I always do it, as brake fluid is hydroscopic.
-Fuel System Clean is not mentioned; but definitely could see how it could be helpful. I have started dumping in the recommended dose of GM - Fuel System Cleaner (which I think is real close to Chevron Techron) about every 15k miles; cheap insurance. Ticks me off the fuel filter is integrated in the tank pump module now days...so can't change it.
-Used to do power steering every 4-5 years, but now w/ electric, there doesn't seem to be any fluid to change.
-Rest I usually do by the Severe Schedule, brakes when down to 3mm or so, Air filters and such every 25-30k miles, although this new rig has an air filter life meter.
-In my climate, I ask them to lube the caliper slide pins once a year too, as we live in the salt belt; saves on stuck calipers!

Totally agree w/ @Doubeleive, regular maintenance makes total sense; way cheaper than a new rig, so if you are in it for the long haul...don't skimp, but be mindful of what is in the recommended schedule.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Brake Fluid is in the schedule for every 5 years. Interesting, as on my Honda's it is every 3 years. I always do it, as brake fluid is hydroscopic.
-Fuel System Clean is not mentioned; but definitely could see how it could be helpful. I have started dumping in the recommended dose of GM - Fuel System Cleaner (which I think is real close to Chevron Techron) about every 15k miles; cheap insurance. Ticks me off the fuel filter is integrated in the tank pump module now days...so can't change it.
-Used to do power steering every 4-5 years, but now w/ electric, there doesn't seem to be any fluid to change.
-Rest I usually do by the Severe Schedule, brakes when down to 3mm or so, Air filters and such every 25-30k miles, although this new rig has an air filter life meter.
-In my climate, I ask them to lube the caliper slide pins once a year too, as we live in the salt belt; saves on stuck calipers!

Totally agree w/ @Doubeleive, regular maintenance makes total sense; way cheaper than a new rig, so if you are in it for the long haul...don't skimp, but be mindful of what is in the recommended schedule.
I drive my vehicles pretty hard so in a year I can see the differences in the fluids, maybe I over do it but I would rather try and keep stuff working as designed than ignore it and hope it holds up. I make it a habit to lay down on the ground in my driveway with a flashlight and look under my vehicles for any leaks or signs of wear, check the suspension parts, driveline, anything hanging loose, etc. If my vehicle starts making a noise I try and figure out what it is instead of going hmm, well it drives ok lol
If you wait until you break down on the side of the road to "pop the hood" that's too long.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my vehicles pretty hard so in a year I can see the differences in the fluids, maybe I over do it but I would rather try and keep stuff working as designed than ignore it and hope it holds up. I make it a habit to lay down on the ground in my driveway with a flashlight and look under my vehicles for any leaks or signs of wear, check the suspension parts, driveline, anything hanging loose, etc. If my vehicle starts making a noise I try and figure out what it is instead of going hmm, well it drives ok lol
If you wait until you break down on the side of the road to "pop the hood" that's too long.
Those are all great things to do. Watch South Main Auto or Rainmain Rays Repairs on you tube if you need more convincing that what @Doubeleive said is a great thing to do..or want to educate yourself on how/what to look for.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone take their Tahoe to a shop vs. the dealership? Dealer wants $1200. I used to get this stuff done at the dealer all the time but they are #1 hard to get into now, #2 always late with the work and #3 not as reliable as before. Anything you would skip on the recommended and what is a must do? Dont 4x4 and dont tow. thanks

Change your fluids in the trans/transfer/diff early and often. While the 10 speeds are much less likely to grenade like the 6L80/90 and 8L90, they are still a very complicated transmission. I'm closing in on 90k and have already changed my fluid 3 times. If thats why the price tag at the dealership is much higher, its a justifiable cost.

As for shop vs dealer - you will have to shop around. A majority of my work was done at local shops. One in particular for the "bigger stuff" and I have used other reputable places I have dealt with before for minor stuff - install shocks, oil changes, etc. Stuff that doesnt need to hook up to the ECM or BCM.

That being said, I have noticed over the last 12 months+ that the dealership is able to do oil changes and some of the other work, I previously have had done at independent shops, for about the same or even less in some instances. Not sure if the dealers are trying to bring customers back or not but the quality of the work and the prices of the work have been much better lately, at least in my area.

I'm in NJ like @Miami-Dade so prices tend to be higher here compared to other areas in the country. And while I haven't used Paramus Chevy, I've been going to Paul Miler Chevy in Caldwell and their customer service and prices as of late, have been impressive to say the least.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealers love to upsell unsuspecting customers. I follow my owner's manual. This is a complaint through all car manufacturer's Dealers.
Exactly, follow the owner’s manual, not “dealer recommended”

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local shop hereabouts wanted $199.95, plus tax, shop fee, EPA fee etc. to change my transfer case oil. I did it myself in my garage in 20 minutes using 2 qts of ATF from O'Reilly's and a $8 hand pump from Harbor Freight. Easy job. Didn't even get dirty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan