3:42’s BBP tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jester1023

Reaction score
So I’m looking for a 2nd gen Tahoe preferably a Z71 I have an 04 Yukon approaching 200K on 33’s with 3:73 gears I love the way my truck sits and performs on 3:73’s!

I love the look of the Z71’s with the nerf bars,roof rack & color match exterior I just love the look of the Z’s.

I have my eye on an 05 Silverbirch Z which I’m looking at next weekend,from the pictures it looks very clean and well taken care of 132k I still need to take a look at it the one thing I’m not too keen on are the gears.I think it has 3:42 gears which came standard after 04 the guy says it’s fully loaded with the tow package but that does not necessarily mean it has higher gears say a 3:73 or 4:10’s though I think only 4:10’s were only offered as an option and those were rare!

with that being said these trucks are hard to come by in good shape with lower mileage if this truck truly has 3:42 gears would a blackbear tune help with performance and pushing 33’s.I don’t want to put undue stress on the tranny trying to push 33’s with the current gears if they are 3:42’s or would I have to swap out gears eventually if I wanted to run bigger tires?

I don’t do any towing or off roading other than the occasional and rare tow.I live in the northeast so snow here and there is a factor but other than that I would not be using the 4WD.

Someone posted an 04 Friday with low mileage but before I could move on it the truck was gone it had the gears I desired but I knew it would not last long.I know the 05’s have the Efans which what I have read is an upgrade to the previous years but if I’m going to have to spend 1500 to swap gears to help relieve stress on the tyranny and move bigger tires I may have to pass on the 05 and concentrate on the earlier years unless you guys think a tune would help balance it out.

I don’t have a lot of hills or mountains near me but it’s a lot of stop and go traffic so I may and probably will feel the effect of the 3:42’s vs the 3:73’s which I have!I love the way my truck sits on the 33’s and it’s more for looks than anything I just don’t want to settle on 3:42’s and have to swap out gears eventually

thanks

OP
OP
Jester1023

Jester1023

Reaction score
Thanks Mudsport going to look at the truck Sunday!good to hear from someone with 3:42’s running close to 33’s I read a lot of negative about 3:42 gears but as stated I won’t be towing with it I love the look of the z’s,My Yukon sits just right on 33’s albeit it has 3:73’s just don’t want to lose too much get up and go!

thanks for sharing

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Z71 with just over 135k miles and could not be happier. I had an 02 LT with the 3.73 gear and I miss the power I felt from that gear but the fuel mileage is very good compared to the 2002. I have plans on a BB tune to help wake it up a bit and would like to just keep the 3.42 gears till I actually need to change. I am running the 265/70R17 stock size tires on stock wheels. So, while I miss the 3.73 gear I am ok with what I have till absolutely need to swap them out. If I was you, I would contact BB tune and see what they say about a tune helping with what you want. If you do that, tell me what they said, please.

By the way, I have the same paint scheme and color.

The thing I did to get the biggest performance upgrade so far is new front and rear Hellwig sway bar kits. I have an "Under Construction" thread going if you want to see more pics of all I have done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jester1023

Jester1023

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply and thank-you for your service PNW.nice looking forward to go seeing the truck this weekend.hearing from you guys I do feel a little better about the 3:42's yes I prefer different gears but by no means is it going to be a deal breaker.If there is a positive with the 05 versus previous years I would be getting the E-fans and from what I've read its an upgrade from previous years.

I plan on contacting BlackBear if I decide to take the vehicle having the 3:42's will not deter me from getting it if all the other boxes check out.It has the low type mileage for an 05 and from the pics the body looks to be in really good shape along with the interior!I would need to see it in person the guy tells me he's got service records!I have a friend of mine running a carfax for me today I know carfax is not bullet proof but if there is any major issues it should pick it up!

thanks again for your opinions and responses

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
According to others here at the forum, the 05 and 06 years years are the best of the NBS rigs. What is the guy asking for the 05 you are looking at? I paid $8k for mine. It was a week long negotiation for me. It was in great shape but if you look at the build thread I started, I have thrown a bunch of money at mine for things I am getting to a base line with.

OP
OP
Jester1023

Jester1023

Reaction score
He’s asking $6400 for it 136K Miles I still have to take a look at it the pictures look good but the pictures only tell so much he did say there is some rust starting on the passenger rocker I think it’s common with all of them my Yukon has no rust except some surface rust starting in that same spot!Its odd I think they all start in that same spot or the dreaded bubbling around the rear hatch lock!

he did change brake & tranny lines which may or may not mean a bad under carriage I had to change brake lines in my Yukon but my undercarriage is pretty clean so I know it’s a common issue with these rigs!

living in the northeast does not help with developing rust that’s why I’m bringing my body man/mechanic with me on Sunday!

did not get a chance to look at your build sheet yet I’ll take a peek in a bit

thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I live in the PNW and we have no rust problems at all unless you live at the coast in the salt air. In my build thread you can see under there, during the sway bar kits install, there is no rust. That price you have of $6400 has to be down a bit because of rust. The mileage is low and if has maintenance/repair records that is great. Good thing the body man/mechanic is going with you. Look very very very hard for any rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep