2WD Front Spring Installation Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modoyadney

Reaction score
Hi,
I wanted to take out the lift spacer at the front of my Suburban. The 2WD front suspension should be identical to the Tahoe, as far I know.
Everything worked fine until I had to put the spring back into the seat.
Has anyone of you done it without any special tool? Or can you recommend a specific spring compressor for this job?
I only got a spring compressor for strut type springs, which isn't of any help here.
Thanks a lot.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been years since I've done coils on a GM truck but the only coil spring compressor I own and use is a Snap-On. It's actually made by Branic and it's the type with hooks at the top and a fork that slides on it at the bottom. Usually you can use a compressor like mine and clamp the spring down to the lower control arm and put it in place.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot give you a specific recommendation, but you are already receiving sage advice for this Forum, and others will chime in.

OP
OP
M

Modoyadney

Reaction score
So... I made it today. It worked with this kind of spring compressor.
Got it on eBay for under 20 bucks, it's actually meant for some older Mercedes.
IMG_0118.jpeg
I just had to cut of a little bit of the rod to make it fit in there.

I didn't test drive yet, but it seems I have to get an alignment, because the camber seems odd now. :(

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carefully inspect your upper control arm bushings and the adjusters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec