2nd time Lifter Failure... 2021 Yukon AT4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Taos_AT4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update. Was at the dealership this morning for an oil change on our other vehicle and was able to check out the build date. If I am looking at the correct label (bottom of the B-pillar where the drivers door meets the rear passenger door) mine has a build date of 3/21. Wasn't able to talk to the tech but I should be getting a call today. I believe that is in the window of the vehicles affected by the lifter issue.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update. Was at the dealership this morning for an oil change on our other vehicle and was able to check out the build date. If I am looking at the correct label (bottom of the B-pillar where the drivers door meets the rear passenger door) mine has a build date of 3/21. Wasn't able to talk to the tech but I should be getting a call today. I believe that is in the window of the vehicles affected by the lifter issue.
There is a pretty good possibility it is, but the only way to know for sure is the engine build date. It is on a sticker on the back of the driver's side cylinder head in julian date format. It contains the alpha code of the factory that built the engine, the shift it was built on, the Julian date of the build and the a sequence code. Anything built from March 5th on is out of the window, March 4 back is in the window.

Being a March build of the truck, it all depends how long the engine sat before being installed in the truck. Some have reported relatively short timeframes, like 2 weeks, others (like my 2021 Sierra, the engine was built months before it was installed in the truck). But the engine build sticker is the only sure way to know for sure.

sqd pkl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm now convinced it was not a bad batch but just a design flaw. My Yukon was built in May; lifter failure at 5000 miles. Dealer replaced both banks, all 16 lifters. 500 miles later, lifter failure AGAIN. The 75k pile of sh*t is being towed to dealer again tomorrow. If you are on the fence about getting a 21, just go visit the service bay at your local GMC dealer. Mine had 7 Yukons/Tahoe's currently in for lifter failure. It's definitely not just a small vocal few having this issue.

Plenty of threads on this, but I wanted to let people know, just because you had both banks replaced with the supposed *fixed* batch of lifters, you aren't in the clear.
So frustrating, as this was the perfect vehicle for my family. Now I'm trying to find a Jeep Dealer with an allocation for a Wagoneer.
I am a huge dodge fan and own a lot of ram trucks. The 5.7 and 6.4 we have at work both suffered lifter failures. Both trucks had to have cams and lifters replaced. Once the lifter roller fails it wipes out the cam. it only happens if you let the engine idle ALOT. both trucks had more idle time then drive. lifters dont get enough oil at low rpms.

mikes2nd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
bs... they get tons of oil... you need to maintain your work trucks... keep clean oil in them and change the oil per the manual based on hourly usage instead of mileage for extreme duty. Its right there in the manual on how to do maintenance. Every work truck I've been in has been abused and beat the sh*t out of and not maintained well unless it was a single employee guy who relied on and was responsible for his own vehicle. When the avg employee gets in a hemi truck, they all beat the living sh*t out of them.

KitchenMaven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm now convinced it was not a bad batch but just a design flaw. My Yukon was built in May; lifter failure at 5000 miles. Dealer replaced both banks, all 16 lifters. 500 miles later, lifter failure AGAIN. The 75k pile of sh*t is being towed to dealer again tomorrow. If you are on the fence about getting a 21, just go visit the service bay at your local GMC dealer. Mine had 7 Yukons/Tahoe's currently in for lifter failure. It's definitely not just a small vocal few having this issue.

Plenty of threads on this, but I wanted to let people know, just because you had both banks replaced with the supposed *fixed* batch of lifters, you aren't in the clear.
So frustrating, as this was the perfect vehicle for my family. Now I'm trying to find a Jeep Dealer with an allocation for a Wagoneer.
My 2021

My 2021 has been in the dealership for over a week and a half now for the second time - they stated the same exact BS about "oh, we were shipped a bad batch of lifters, we are reordering and will replace..." I leased the vehicle and am going to Lemon Law it! They think I'm a dummy. The engine is the issue, just like the service woman said...now she said a corporate tech came out and said "oh, bad batch, etc."... BS. I loved this vehicle except all of the recalls, especially this one. THey'd need to change the CAM, fuel filters, oil filters, whatever small shards of metal could be floating around. I'm so mad!!

MSTI

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just got mine back yesterday since taking it in on 2/10. It was a left side lifter which were replaced - again! I had all 16 replaced at 4k now one side bad again at 16k. All covered under warranty of course. Not much I can do but just see what happens since there are no other vehicles available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu