2nd row buckets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate being educated on all the "quirks and features" of my 04 Tahoe... Thank you corvette744 and adventurenali92! When I read through the owner's manual when I bought mine in October. It mentioned this (copied from page 1-21, Rear Seats section):

Bucket Seats
If your vehicle has bucket seats, the seatbacks can be
reclined and the seats can be folded to give you more
cargo room.

Reclining the Seatbacks
On the extended models with bucket seats, the
seatbacks can be reclined. To adjust the seatback
do the following:
1. Pull forward the lever located at the base of
the seat.
2. Release the lever to lock the seatback where you
want it. If you pull the lever without pushing on the
seatback, the seatback will go to an upright position.

I know owner's manuals can be riddled with all kinds of errors or misinformation, but I figured they would explain the seat functions correctly... I assumed wrong!
The section above specifically mentions "on extended models with bucket seats...", so I never tried reclining the buckets in my non-extended Tahoe.

I am never a back seat passenger, but I love them even more knowing the buckets do recline for the comfort of my traveling passengers!!

OP
OP

9C1C

Reaction score
This topic has been addressed many times. There are several threads here with walk through instructions detailing the process and what parts and work are required for the swap. Bench seats can be converted to buckets and vice versa. The only catch is that the seats need to be from the same wheel base suv. Suburban and Yukon xl seats will NOT fit in a Tahoe or non XL Yukon. And Tahoe and non XL Yukon seats will NOT fit into a suburban or Yukon XL. The bolt locations in the floors are different between the two wheel base platforms. So make sure if you’re swapping from bench to captains, or captains to bench for your Yukon, that you verify the seats that are being swapped into it come out from the same wheel base SUV as what you currently have.

And for what’s it’s worth; my 2006 XL Denali has mid row buckets, that recline, and there’s plenty of room to climb in between the two seats to get in and out of third row seats, my 11 year old nephew, and 9 and 7 years old nieces do it all the time. I’ve done it plenty of times in my own rig and in the many GM SUVs that belong to clients that I detail for getting in and out during the detailing process.
Update - I didn't get the Yukon buckets I was after but I did get a set of Denali buckets for an excellent price and they fit perfect. Trying to decide now if I should save the bench or sell it.

Last edited:

swoerner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I have a black 2018 Tahoe, looking to swap the black leather rear captains seats (not heated/powered) for black leather bench seats. I am in NJ. Any takers?

Also, I contacted the dealer to see if they might be able to do it, they said they were not allowed to do so because of safety concerns, that the seat belts would not work. For those who have done this, how do we manage that?

Thanks
Scott

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a black 2018 Tahoe, looking to swap the black leather rear captains seats (not heated/powered) for black leather bench seats. I am in NJ. Any takers?

Also, I contacted the dealer to see if they might be able to do it, they said they were not allowed to do so because of safety concerns, that the seat belts would not work. For those who have done this, how do we manage that?

Thanks
Scott

Might want to post this in the 2015-2020 forum

Slammedchevy01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a direct swap from bench to buckets? Did any 00-06 Tahoe/Yukon have 2nd row buckets?

NoReverseYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though this is a Yogi Berra thread, I will add all the configurations I had for 2nd row seating.

When I bought it, my XL had a bench seat. I found some captain's buckets in great shape at the junkyard and swapped 'em.

After my dog contracted cancer and had her front leg amputated, I removed the passenger side bucket to make it easier for her to get in and out - I built her a little step to help her.

I started thinking that I wanted a little more off-the-floor space, so I separated the bench seat and only installed the driver's side section.

That is how it sits now ; enough room for two to sit back there in a pinch while still having easy access to the back w/o having to pop the liftgate. And my dogs seem to like sitting on the bench seat looking out the windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts