21 Yukon xl owner considering Yukon sle duramax

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wizardofpoz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the first Yukon xl Denali off the lot in October 21. No issues at all but considering going to a duramax Yukon sle with front bench. Love the car but it was for my wife, now in transit, due to 4 kids. I want the most simple build with the sle duramax with front bench.

Anyone gone from 6.2 to duramax? Anyone have an sle with duramax and front bench? I also have the corsa exhaust on my Yukon xl which I will miss but I recently inherited a 1968 ss chevelle with a 454 so that’s where I do my spirited driving. I’m really looking for better mileage and don’t need all the luxury.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a ‘22 Yukon XL SLE with front bench and Duramax. It is the ultimate rig for my family (5 kids).

The front bench is awesome. It still gives you storage, but when you need the extra seat it’s available. We’ve gone places with my in-laws and have comfortably seated all 9 of us. When we use it, my 11yo daughter will sit there and it’s good seating ergonomics for her. Full grown adults not so much, but that’s OK.

I agree with you on the desire for simple and not needing all the luxury. These SLEs still have everything a person needs and save you ~$15K-20K off a Denali.

The Duramax is a fuel miser on the highway. On most of our 2hr+ road trips we are seeing 32-33mpg on the drive summary.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a ‘22 Yukon XL SLE with front bench and Duramax. It is the ultimate rig for my family (5 kids).

The front bench is awesome. It still gives you storage, but when you need the extra seat it’s available. We’ve gone places with my in-laws and have comfortably seated all 9 of us. When we use it, my 11yo daughter will sit there and it’s good seating ergonomics for her. Full grown adults not so much, but that’s OK.

I agree with you on the desire for simple and not needing all the luxury. These SLEs still have everything a person needs and save you ~$15K-20K off a Denali.

The Duramax is a fuel miser on the highway. On most of our 2hr+ road trips we are seeing 32-33mpg on the drive summary.

+1 from a Suburban LS duramax with front bench owner with 4 kids

After owning ours for almost a year I’m convinced the duramax is hands down the best engine for this rig. And fuel economy not even being the biggest draw IMO (although it’s always nice to see 24mpg combined and 30+ on highway trips). It just fits the character of this house on wheels so well with its torque delivery in low rpms. It’s much more engaging to drive, especially compared to the 5.3 that constantly needs to be revved to get it going. The way the 3.0 delivers power is perfect for this truck IMO. It’s zippy around town and can comfortably cruise up to 80-90mph. Sure it quickly runs out of oomph thereafter but like you said, you don’t get a suburban/Yukon for drag racing. IMO it should really be the base engine over the old lazy dog that is the 5.3. And even compared to the 6.2 it has many benefits that I would take over either one any time. And I say this is an initial (diesel) sceptic.

In terms of base model, it was obvious choice as it’s the only way to get 9 seater version (although there’s an awesome thread here of a member who converted an 8 seat RST into 9 seater himself and is planning to do same with his SLT).

Moreover, I also couldn't justify coughing up close to 100k on a GM product. Although there’s nothing that directly competes with the size and capability of a BOF Yukon/suburban/Escalade, with the upper trims you’re entering X7/GLS territory which are way more refined and honestly on another level altogether. The LT-SLT may be the sweet spot for value with some options (like our LS doesn’t have a power tailgate on a 60k+ vehicle.. really GM?). I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to live with the stripper model, but in the end, I actually do find myself enjoying the utilitarian character of a “base model”.

The only thing I miss having besides a power tailgate would be leather seats , which there are plenty of aftermarket options for and I plan to install at some point. I didn’t realize how staticky the cloth seats make me every time I get in/out of the seat. Even the base audio system actually sounds decent, which can be upgraded aftermarket also.

OP
OP
W

wizardofpoz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

They offered me a trade in value that shocked me and your comments help me with with my reasoning. We also have a 350 awd ecoboost transit lifted on 31 bf goodriches averaging 9 mpg. Need more mpg and I’ve had the 5.3 which I didn’t like

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only missed not being in my 6.2L suburban a couple times in past 3-4 months, today happened to be one of those days when I was passing a 50-52 mph car going up a slight grade, then he decides to be a bully and zoom to 68 which gave me a struggle to pass within the passing zone in my 3.0L diesel Surburban. My 6.2L Surburban doesn't play around :worthy:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did 300+ miles in mine yesterday, 29.1 avg at 80 MPH. Most economy cars won't crack that number....
As a long time diesel owner, there is no other choice for this vehicle. Runs effortlessly......

OP
OP
W

wizardofpoz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drove vw tdi’s for 15 years so love me some diesels but the wife always had the 6.2l. Now that it’s my rig i really want the diesel and it sounds like I will order my spec soon. I will miss the sound of the corsa on the 6.2l. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt