'21 HC Tahoe leaking oil (28k)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
A month or two ago I found what appeared to be a couple of oil drops in my garage where I park my Tahoe. It was inconsistent, meaning it only happened on one day but I was alarmed and took it to the dealer. They basically told me they'd need to keep it for a few days but since it's not leaking constantly it's probably nothing and blamed it on something splashing up from the road and dripping down. Well, yesterday I found a larger puddle so made another appointment. I made an appt at Cadillac since they will provide a rental if they need it for more than 3 days. Anyone have this issue? No idea what it could be, but the truck runs perfectly otherwise. I'd like to take a look myself but wasn't sure where to jack it up from.

Attachments

• 20221020_114744439_iOS conv.jpeg
    20221020_114744439_iOS conv.jpeg
    700.5 KB · Views: 4

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A month or two ago I found what appeared to be a couple of oil drops in my garage where I park my Tahoe. It was inconsistent, meaning it only happened on one day but I was alarmed and took it to the dealer. They basically told me they'd need to keep it for a few days but since it's not leaking constantly it's probably nothing and blamed it on something splashing up from the road and dripping down. Well, yesterday I found a larger puddle so made another appointment. I made an appt at Cadillac since they will provide a rental if they need it for more than 3 days. Anyone have this issue? No idea what it could be, but the truck runs perfectly otherwise. I'd like to take a look myself but wasn't sure where to jack it up from.
Guess it depends on your build, but I am able to shimmy under my Yukon pretty easliy, even without jacking it up.

You should be able to safely jack it up from the same spots as the provided jack goes when you have a flat. Check the owners manual, it points out all the safe jack points.

Hoping its oil filter issue, or spill on the frame from last oil change that is dripping out. You definitely don't have a very big leak.
Other spots on previous models that have been "hot spots" for leaks are the external engine oil cooler ports at the back of the pan, pan gasket, etc.
If you can't see anything from up top, its probably one of those that I mentioned. You have warranty, so should be covered, if that is all that is leaked, its probably nothing serious. Definitely follow up w/ the dealer though. Let us know the fix.

OP
OP
A

AngeloUCF

Reaction score
Took it in today... it was a loose oil filter. Schumacher GMC/Chevy has left me with loose lug nuts and now a loose oil filter. Unacceptable.

Side note - Autonation Cadillac was super helpful. They explained they couldn't do warranty work on my Chevy but checked it out (and fixed it) for me anyway.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: As long as your rig is in the warranty period, "Autonation Cadillac" can do and should do ANY warranty work for you. A loose oil filter is not warranty work though. It is maintenance and poor quality workmanship from "Schumacher". Take the documented paperwork from Autonation to Schumacher and ask for compensation of at least fuel and any expenses out of your pocket. If you take back to Schumacher, for oil changes, demand that the person who normally does the oil changes, not touch your rig and ask for at least 1 free oil change if not 2-3 if they will not repay you for your time and fuel when you took to Autonation. Lot's of times, the people that do things like oil changes and tire rotations is not a certified tech and is just a laborer. A loose oil filter can cause rapid loss of oil and blow up an engine. It is nothing to be taken lightly.

jforb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After owning a couple one owner used vehicles with service records showing they'd only been serviced at the GM dealer, and having stretched oil drain plugs, stripped air filter housing screw holes, etc. I'm kind of leery of taking my new Tahoe in for even the free first service there. At least I know how tight to tighten fasteners....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After owning a couple one owner used vehicles with service records showing they'd only been serviced at the GM dealer, and having stretched oil drain plugs, stripped air filter housing screw holes, etc. I'm kind of leery of taking my new Tahoe in for even the free first service there. At least I know how tight to tighten fasteners....
Insist on watching after telling them why, like you did here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT