2023 Tahoe/Squealing at low speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasLC

Reaction score
Hard to tell for me, but it almost sounds like a quick cricket chirp to me, couldnt tell but was the road smooth? Suspension noise perhaps?

My 2021 has this cricket sound, notice it with window down going through drive through, or pulling in an out of the garage. I thought maybe it's my brakes since I'm at 44% & 72% but it squeals when the brakes are depressed or not.

Also it makes the squeal in 2WD or in Auto.

You ever find a solution? This seems different than OPs squeal...

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2021 has this cricket sound, notice it with window down going through drive through, or pulling in an out of the garage. I thought maybe it's my brakes since I'm at 44% & 72% but it squeals when the brakes are depressed or not.

Also it makes the squeal in 2WD or in Auto.

You ever find a solution? This seems different than OPs squeal...
Do this with the drivers windows open.

If you're cruising at 25 30 miles an hour with low to no torque, so that your cylinders are disengaged, and then you start the brake, do you hear the squeal when the truck hits 14 mph?

That's the number one way to duplicate it.

The second way to duplicate it is when the vehicle auto shuts off. When you take your foot off the brake and it kicks back on you'll hear the squeal tripping again.

It also does it when you're cruising down the road at 40 miles an hour with little to no torque so your cylinders are disengaged, and then you immediately tap on the gas, you'll hear it squeak chirp.

If those are the sounds that you're hearing then it's the squeal from the cylinder reactivation due to DFM. And there's nothing that can be done.

Although there's nothing that can be done I can also confirm that not every vehicle has it. My neighbor across the street has a 22 suburban high country with a 6.2 and his has no squeals. I drove a Yukon Denali that only had one of the squeals not all four of them. I've driven five escalades and only one had the squeal and it was the 14 mile an hour breaking squeal. So GM probably has no idea what causes it and won't even make a moderate attempt to fix it.

If this isn't your squeal chirp, the other major squeal chirp comes from the flapper valve on the exhaust. You can test this by just climbing underneath the vehicle and have somebody accelerate and watch the flapper valve open and close and see if it chirps or squeals. Keep in mind that if it is the flapper valve and it open and closes correctly GM will not replace it because of a squeal, you'll have to just get an aftermarket exhaust.

TexasLC

Reaction score
Do this with the drivers windows open.

If you're cruising at 25 30 miles an hour with low to no torque, so that your cylinders are disengaged, and then you start the brake, do you hear the squeal when the truck hits 14 mph?

That's the number one way to duplicate it.

The second way to duplicate it is when the vehicle auto shuts off. When you take your foot off the brake and it kicks back on you'll hear the squeal tripping again.

It also does it when you're cruising down the road at 40 miles an hour with little to no torque so your cylinders are disengaged, and then you immediately tap on the gas, you'll hear it squeak chirp.

If those are the sounds that you're hearing then it's the squeal from the cylinder reactivation due to DFM. And there's nothing that can be done.

Although there's nothing that can be done I can also confirm that not every vehicle has it. My neighbor across the street has a 22 suburban high country with a 6.2 and his has no squeals. I drove a Yukon Denali that only had one of the squeals not all four of them. I've driven five escalades and only one had the squeal and it was the 14 mile an hour breaking squeal. So GM probably has no idea what causes it and won't even make a moderate attempt to fix it.

If this isn't your squeal chirp, the other major squeal chirp comes from the flapper valve on the exhaust. You can test this by just climbing underneath the vehicle and have somebody accelerate and watch the flapper valve open and close and see if it chirps or squeals. Keep in mind that if it is the flapper valve and it open and closes correctly GM will not replace it because of a squeal, you'll have to just get an aftermarket exhaust.

The squeal is only happening when the vehicle is moving. If I come to a stop, it stops. Once I get over 10ish mph there's too much noise to hear it anymore.

It's annoying going through parking lots, through drive thru's, and into/out of my garage.

I will try what you mentioned to see if I can find a correlation.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The squeal is only happening when the vehicle is moving. If I come to a stop, it stops. Once I get over 10ish mph there's too much noise to hear it anymore.

It's annoying going through parking lots, through drive thru's, and into/out of my garage.

I will try what you mentioned to see if I can find a correlation.

If it's only present when you're rolling between 1 and 10 miles an hour, that is not the issue caused by the DFM.

You clearly have a metal on metal rub somewhere. Either in the brakes or a wheel bearing.

I would think at 10 mph or below while rolling it should be easy to find or at least identify which side it's coming from if you have somebody stand or walk beside the vehicle while it's moving.

Acepeda

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2024 Yukon XL Denali. It has the 6.2l engine. I have also noticed the squealing/squeaking. It is exactly as you describe it down to the 30mph.

I also tried going 30mph then shifting to N(neutral) then coming to a stop and found that the squeaking is GONE.

I’m going to try and have them change my torque converter or transmission at my upcoming appointment. My videos are a little hard to follow but you can here the squeak/squeal. But I don’t know how to post videos….sorry if someone can walk me through I can post the videos

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a 2024 Yukon XL Denali. It has the 6.2l engine. I have also noticed the squealing/squeaking. It is exactly as you describe it down to the 30mph.

I also tried going 30mph then shifting to N(neutral) then coming to a stop and found that the squeaking is GONE.

I’m going to try and have them change my torque converter or transmission at my upcoming appointment. My videos are a little hard to follow but you can here the squeak/squeal. But I don’t know how to post videos….sorry if someone can walk me through I can post the videos

Put your video on a hosting site and paste the link in a post here.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They won't change anything.

In N or in M9, the cylinder deactivation is disabled. Therefore you would hear the squeak squeak.

The issue is being caused the cylinders/injectors reacting to firing up after they been deactivated.

The dealer won't do anything. If they do anything to trans, it won't matter. It's not the tranny.

The TSB clearly says it's normal, but not all vehicles have it. Makes sense, right?

They only choice you have buy one that doesn't have it, it have the injectors/cylinder deactivation reprogrammed/replaced. And even then, there no guarantee.
Mine started it at 2k miles and got worse.

The Escalades have it, but the Escalades have much better engine noise insulation so it's less audible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts