2023 Rearview Mirror Access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATrainTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured I might as well ask here before I destroy this piece of plastic on the mirror trim trying to get access. I have a new 2023 Yukon XL Denali with the live rearview mirror. Trying to remove the trim to access the power port for the Gen5DIY adapter I bought to mount a radar detector. Their video shows a different type of mirror trim and I cannot figure out how to pop off this trim to access the mirror power port for this harness.

Anyone have any tips for me? I do have a trim removal tool but not sure if I should be prying on the TOP or the bottom of the center insert piece.

yukon_mirror.jpg

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe stop by an auto glass shop, they will know how to do it for sure since it needs to come off in case of a windshield replace. I;m sure they would know any ticks to make it easier

OP
OP
ATrainTX

ATrainTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe stop by an auto glass shop, they will know how to do it for sure since it needs to come off in case of a windshield replace. I;m sure they would know any ticks to make it easier
This was good advice! I asked my window tint guy when he was working on that to take a look. For future searchers looking for this answer — you just need to push UP from the entire bottom housing towards the roof and it pops off to allow you to access the center insert piece that unclips and then you’ve got access.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did this over the weekend for the same reason. I popped out the center piece and then slid the larger piece down.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was good advice! I asked my window tint guy when he was working on that to take a look. For future searchers looking for this answer — you just need to push UP from the entire bottom housing towards the roof and it pops off to allow you to access the center insert piece that unclips and then you’ve got access.
Would love to see a picture of your mounted detector if willing.

OP
OP
ATrainTX

ATrainTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would love to see a picture of your mounted detector if willing.
Absolutely. I know that there are knock-offs out there but I have supported BlendMount for like a decade and it's just a great product so I'm OK with the higher price. Their mirror mount worked perfectly on my 23' with my Uniden R7 and the Gen5DIY power harness was seamless. Easiest detector install I've had on a vehicle to date. Big fan.

Attachments

• mount_2.jpg
    mount_2.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 40
  • mount1.jpg
    mount1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 41

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this, since no one has responded to my thread about instructions on how to remove this piece.

Posts #3 and #4 seem at odds with each other. Regardless, I don't understand the actual process used in either. Specifically, how can you push up on the entire housing if the top end is already against the headliner? Is there room to push it that directions? Or, are you pushing up and pulling away from the windshield at the same time? And as for removing the center piece, how do you do that? Do you have to pry it out with a tool? (if so, what do you use, and where do you start?)

And how does the housing mount to the windshield anyway? Are there tabs/rails stuck to the windshield that the housing slides onto?

If you guys could provide some more detail, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this, since no one has responded to my thread about instructions on how to remove this piece.

Posts #3 and #4 seem at odds with each other. Regardless, I don't understand the actual process used in either. Specifically, how can you push up on the entire housing if the top end is already against the headliner? Is there room to push it that directions? Or, are you pushing up and pulling away from the windshield at the same time? And as for removing the center piece, how do you do that? Do you have to pry it out with a tool? (if so, what do you use, and where do you start?)

And how does the housing mount to the windshield anyway? Are there tabs/rails stuck to the windshield that the housing slides onto?

If you guys could provide some more detail, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Check out this video -

Link starts at him removing the cover on a GMC Sierra - later in the video around the 6min mark he removes one from an Escalade. Not sure if your Yukon has the wider cover like the Escalade, or not - but the process is essentially the same for both.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooooo helpful. Thank you!

From what he says after removing the Caddy one, it sounds like the Yukon/Tahoe one is just "wedges" in around the lip [of the stuff that's mounted to the windshield]...? Do I have that correct?

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy