2023 model and speed limit signs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
It is pretty silly that if you don’t carry a data plan built In features don’t work.

Does my $66k car have NAV? Dealer: Absolutely as long as you pay $40/mo.

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll snap a photo of the txt on the head unit...and again, we should hopefully hear from someone out there w/ an expired data plan who can confirm what works for them...
I have an expired data plan for a 23 suburban. Connecting vehicle to my phone's hotspot enables built-in Google maps to work but the speed limit sign remained "--" for me in the few minutes I tested it this past weekend before I switched back to using Android Auto since it responds more quickly than the built-in system.

If the speed limit sign is reliant on downloaded maps, that may be why mine didn't register since it likely wasn't connected long enough to download any maps. I can do some more testing this weekend when I get the car back from the dealership where they're having to repaint the passenger door for a paint defect.

Agree with others that the mandatory subscription to make the car work is a load of crap. I'm interested to see if the just-announced release of Waze as a built-in Android Automotive app (first being rolled out outside the US) will enable offline map use without a data plan. One can hope but I wouldn't put money on it.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an expired data plan for a 23 suburban. Connecting vehicle to my phone's hotspot enables built-in Google maps to work but the speed limit sign remained "--" for me in the few minutes I tested it this past weekend before I switched back to using Android Auto since it responds more quickly than the built-in system.

If the speed limit sign is reliant on downloaded maps, that may be why mine didn't register since it likely wasn't connected long enough to download any maps. I can do some more testing this weekend when I get the car back from the dealership where they're having to repaint the passenger door for a paint defect.

Agree with others that the mandatory subscription to make the car work is a load of crap. I'm interested to see if the just-announced release of Waze as a built-in Android Automotive app (first being rolled out outside the US) will enable offline map use without a data plan. One can hope but I wouldn't put money on it.
Was my understanding that w/ out the data plan, you don't get the speed limit, traffic info, etc..but yes, curious about what you find out.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you simply run your nav app on your smartphone, then connect to the infotainment system via Android auto?

(I haven't tried it, so I don't really know)

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a data plan. We only pay $15.00 a month for our unlimited plan so don't get gouged.

zo6corvette

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Interesting, my 23 corvette speed sign indicator works fine, never activated the on star either and had car for 1 year now. However my wifes 23 suburban does not work. You'd think on a $90K truck, you wouldn't need a data plan to make this option work, but I guess GM just wants to piss off its customers, My F150 Platinum, doesn't need a subscription, guess we should have purchased an Expedition Max.

The Dane

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, it is more than the network...the head unit software actually "knows" if you have a data plan or not, and enables/disables features accordingly; it is not just the presence of a network or not; its the presence of the key that is active (by key, I mean the security key in the software).

My nav will function perfectly off the offline map when not connected, because it has a valid key. Someone w/ an expired data plan will not, even though the have a copy of the offline map stored.
Have a look at this video, I haven't got my phone to tether to my Suburban with an expired data plan. He got it to work for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts