2022 Z71 Tahoe Transmission Rough Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JaxTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is my first post and love the truck. I had a 2018 Silverado with the 6.2 engine and needed to get something a little bigger for a growing family. Have a 3.5 year old and a 6 month old along with a 65 lb lab. I had the lifter issue on the Silverado and also had problems with the transmission which were both fixed under warranty so I know there can be issues with these.

I’m having hard shifts from I think 2nd and 3rd especially at lower speeds. Im only at 800 miles and this started around 500 miles ( had to cancel taking her in due to a covid outbreak in my house). Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this yet? I will also keep everyone updated after I get the truck looked at. Truck is a Z71 with the 6.2.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
If something drastically changed after 500 miles, might be something to have looked at, but keep in mind these 10 speeds are VERY adaptable and are constantly learning to your driving style. If you drive it hard one day, it can cause some harsher shifts from adapting to that style. Same goes for driving like a grandma, shifts will will become soft and lazy at times.

OP
OP
J

JaxTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s a pretty big change. Also seems to be bogging down during shifts along with shifting hard. I’m getting the truck looked at on Monday and will update.

OP
OP
J

JaxTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They want to drop the pan for the transmission in a few weeks. Oddly enough it seems to be shifting fine now? Maybe they reset everything, not sure. I’m calling tomorrow to see what they did…maybe reset a computer in the truck. No idea but I will keep my next appointment for now. Dealership said it’s fine for now unless it gets worse and bring it straight in.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite parts about this new model is how extremely smooth the 10 speed transmission is. I'm not an aggressive driver and most the time I can hardly feel the shifts at all, smooth as glass.

OP
OP
J

JaxTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Should have updated earlier…she is now still running like a champ. Whatever they did reset everything and all is going good with the transmission. I did not have them drop the pan since no problems currently.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
Should have updated earlier…she is now still running like a champ. Whatever they did reset everything and all is going good with the transmission. I did not have them drop the pan since no problems currently.
More than likely, they reset the adapts and did a quick learn. Thus, making the trans learn all pressure and shift adapts from scratch. GM has had bulletins on the subject all the way back to the 6 speed 6l80/90e

robgreg75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely, they reset the adapts and did a quick learn. Thus, making the trans learn all pressure and shift adapts from scratch. GM has had bulletins on the subject all the way back to the 6 speed 6l80/90e
Yep I had to reset the 6L80 in my 2010 once after it started shifting rough.

Tyrell

Reaction score
Sorry for re-hashing this but I'm experiencing the same poor shifting on my couple-hundred-miles-old 2022 Yukon Denali. Will a "reset and quick learn" resolve it in the long term? Does this adaptive transmission essentially force the user to drive in a similar manner all the time to avoid this same poor shifting in the future?

@Reddevil96 - Sounds like you have some in-depth knowledge on this. I would love to hear your further thoughts.

Reddevil96

Reaction score
Sorry for re-hashing this but I'm experiencing the same poor shifting on my couple-hundred-miles-old 2022 Yukon Denali. Will a "reset and quick learn" resolve it in the long term? Does this adaptive transmission essentially force the user to drive in a similar manner all the time to avoid this same poor shifting in the future?

@Reddevil96 - Sounds like you have some in-depth knowledge on this. I would love to hear your further thoughts.
with only a couple hundred miles I wouldn't get too concerned yet. as stated these transmissions have to have time to learn. when you reset adapts to also have to do a quick learn so it has a starting point, but that is just a starting point, the more miles you put on it with lots of shifts the better it should get within its bounds. At least in theory... I have noticed with mine now have 5600 miles, everything but 1-2 shift it perfectly fine, but I also don't think the 1-2 is doing anything abnormal either, just what it is told, and to me it feels like a lot of torque management, and it changes it degree of feel between normal and sport mode as well as how much throttle input. If aftermarket tuning support was available, these 10 speed trannies can do some pretty amazing things.

If you are doing a fair amount of city driving with varying loads and conditions it should get better, if you are getting close to 1k miles with little to no change then take it in a complain. There have been many issues with torque converters in the past, as well as a few people commenting on low trans fluid levels from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094