2022 Yukon SLT Transmission temp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what is the average transmission temperature on the gauge when driving under normal city conditions? I'm in California the temp has been in the mid- 40's to mid 50's, and I've noticed that my transmission temp gauge has been climbing as high as a 174゚ when I'm climbing up some of the local hills. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I did have problems when I 1st purchased the truck with a twisted transmission cooler line. Recently, I feel like when I am putting the truck into gear and trying to climb up a small hill that the transmission is not engaging properly I'm not sure if this is in my head or not. I know the alarm will go off at 266 degree. Is this something that the dealership can check out to make sure everything is normal? The truck just hit 15K miles and I've had it for about 15 months. Thanks for any input

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what is the average transmission temperature on the gauge when driving under normal city conditions? I'm in California the temp has been in the mid- 40's to mid 50's, and I've noticed that my transmission temp gauge has been climbing as high as a 174゚ when I'm climbing up some of the local hills. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I did have problems when I 1st purchased the truck with a twisted transmission cooler line. Recently, I feel like when I am putting the truck into gear and trying to climb up a small hill that the transmission is not engaging properly I'm not sure if this is in my head or not. I know the alarm will go off at 266 degree. Is this something that the dealership can check out to make sure everything is normal? The truck just hit 15K miles and I've had it for about 15 months. Thanks for any input
I know you’re looking for an answer from a 2021+ model but perhaps I can offer some help anyway.

Transmission temperature parameters are set by the fluid and not by the transmission component differences from generation to generation. As the 10-speed uses a more advanced (Dexron ULV) fluid than earlier transmissions, what is normal for those will also be normal for your transmission. GM powertrain engineers have said publicly that they like to see a *minimum* fluid temperature for normal operation of 150°F in the 6L80 (Dexron VI fluid) because of concerns of moisture accumulation, etc.

With the stock external fluid coolers on earlier generation trucks, what you’re seeing is the same or lower than what we see in similar conditions. 174°F is great and I wouldn’t worry at all. In my 2012 I have a much larger than stock transmission cooler for towing purposes and when crossing the blue ridge mountains I will see transmission temps as high as 215°F on a hot summer day with a Yukon XL full of kids and gear, but not towing. Normal highway driving in the summer it stays around 170-180°F. City traffic I can see 190°F regularly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know you’re looking for an answer from a 2021+ model but perhaps I can offer some help anyway.

Transmission temperature parameters are set by the fluid and not by the transmission component differences from generation to generation. As the 10-speed uses a more advanced (Dexron ULV) fluid than earlier transmissions, yet what is normal for those will also be normal for your transmission. GM powertrain engineers have said publicly that they like to see a *minimum* fluid temperature for normal operation of 150°F in the 6L80 (Dexron VI fluid) because of concerns of moisture accumulation, etc.

With the stock external fluid coolers on earlier generation trucks, what you’re seeing is the same or lower than what we see in similar conditions. 174°F is great and I wouldn’t worry at all. In my 2012 I have a much larger than stock transmission cooler for towing purposes and when crossing the blue ridge mountains I will see transmission temps as high as 215°F on a hot summer day with a Yukon XL full of kids and gear, but not towing. Normal highway driving in the summer it stays around 170-180°F. City traffic I can see 190°F regularly.
Thanks for the input and putting me at ease!