2022 Yukon SLT, Transmisiion Hot Idle Engine. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM Vehicles under warranty that need an overnight stay for service should dictate that the dealer needs to give you a loaner (which they get paid for by GM).

In the current environment of no supply, no dealer should get mad about you not buying from them, as they may not have had one to sell you.

I'd have a covo w/ the service manager, and explain that they have a chance to win you as a long term customer if they perform well...I started a 30 year relationship with a dealer via their service department..
^^^ This. In my experience, the service department doesn't care where you bought the vehicle. They're usually more interested in keeping you as a service customer. At least that's been my experience. I've never needed to take either of my GMC's to a dealer (bought used), but having bought 2 Land Rovers and a BMW new, I was on a first name basis with the local service managers, and I received equally good service and loaners even when I was on the road.

OP
OP
A

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2022 Yukon SLT back in December of 2021. The dealership was about 2 hours from home and when I was climbing some hills close to home I started getting alarm bells and an error message " Transmission Hot Idle Engine". I pulled over and called the dealership and they said maybe a glitch. A month later took a trip to Reno and started gettiing the same error. A dealership had me turn on the transmission temperature guage which I founnd that the error will pop-up at 266degrees so I returned from our trip just eyeing the guage and trying to feep the temp below this . Brought the vehicle into a local dealer and they said that it came from the factory a quart low of transmission fluid. I have driven locally on short trips with no problem and the transmisson temp will still climb as high as 250degrees but no alarm.(better that it was, prior to bringing it in, the alarm would have triggered for sure. I had called the dealership back and asked if sometimes reaching 250degrees was normal and they said yes. Can anyone tell me what is a normal range for the transmssion temp. It's hard to believe that riding in the red part of the guage is normal.

Yesterday, had relatives in town and took a longer drive back and fouuth to San Francisco, climbing some hills,...etc. By the time I got home the temp reached 264degrees and there was a loud fan noise hissing behind the drivers side wheel from the engine area. I don't think that this is normal. Does anyone have any advice on this issue? Problem is, you have to drive for atleast 1.5 hours before the temp starts climbing, so how does a mechanic diagnose this, if there is anything to diagnose.

I wish they did not have this temp display because I find that this is all I keep watching when I am driving and am not really enjoying my new 75K purchase. Paranoid that I bought a lemon!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ This. In my experience, the service department doesn't care where you bought the vehicle. They're usually more interested in keeping you as a service customer. At least that's been my experience. I've never needed to take either of my GMC's to a dealer (bought used), but having bought 2 Land Rovers and a BMW new, I was on a first name basis with the local service managers, and I received equally good service and loaners even when I was on the road.
Same here, Mine was in the shop 3 Times 1400 miles away from home and I was given an equal loaner each time and treated very well. I will use them again with confidence.....

OP
OP
A

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 2022 Yukon SLT back in December of 2021. The dealership was about 2 hours from home and when I was climbing some hills close to home I started getting alarm bells and an error message " Transmission Hot Idle Engine". I pulled over and called the dealership and they said maybe a glitch. A month later took a trip to Reno and started gettiing the same error. A dealership had me turn on the transmission temperature guage which I founnd that the error will pop-up at 266degrees so I returned from our trip just eyeing the guage and trying to feep the temp below this . Brought the vehicle into a local dealer and they said that it came from the factory a quart low of transmission fluid. I have driven locally on short trips with no problem and the transmisson temp will still climb as high as 250degrees but no alarm.(better that it was, prior to bringing it in, the alarm would have triggered for sure. I had called the dealership back and asked if sometimes reaching 250degrees was normal and they said yes. Can anyone tell me what is a normal range for the transmssion temp. It's hard to believe that riding in the red part of the guage is normal.

Yesterday, had relatives in town and took a longer drive back and fouuth to San Francisco, climbing some hills,...etc. By the time I got home the temp reached 264degrees and there was a loud fan noise hissing behind the drivers side wheel from the engine area. I don't think that this is normal. Does anyone have any advice on this issue? Problem is, you have to drive for atleast 1.5 hours before the temp starts climbing, so how does a mechanic diagnose this, if there is anything to diagnose.

I wish they did not have this temp display because I find that this is all I keep watching when I am driving and am not really enjoying my new 75K purchase. Paranoid that I bought a lemon!
UPDATE: Brought the Yukon back to the dealership that I bought it from. They gave me a Denali as a loaner which is great! They called back yesterday and said they found a bent/kinked transmission line. I am hoping that this resolves the issue. I wonder if driving the last 2K miles with the temperature going to 266degrees four times, 250-260degrees five or six times, and 220+degrees on a daily basis is going to have any adverse affects on this transmission. What would have happened had I bought this Yukon from a closer dealership or had not taken the longer road trip; I probably could have driven years without noticing the higher transmission temp because the alarm doesn't go off until 266degrees and the temp gauge is not a default display, it has to be brought up from the menu.

Anyways, I feel like I have damaged goods and this has really put a damper on the new car buying experience. I will probably look at this transmission temp. gauge for the rest of my life! Should I ask for extra warranty on this transmission? Maybe even trade this Yukon in for a 2023? Anyone have a number or email to corporate?

The Denali loaner never went past 189degrees on the drive home and that was only for a minute when I was climbing the pass to get home. it averages about 160degrees most of the time.

Time to go and pick-up my Yukon! Wish me luck!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At a minimum you should have the transmission fluid exchanged as a preemptive measure.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Brought the Yukon back to the dealership that I bought it from. They gave me a Denali as a loaner which is great! They called back yesterday and said they found a bent/kinked transmission line. I am hoping that this resolves the issue. I wonder if driving the last 2K miles with the temperature going to 266degrees four times, 250-260degrees five or six times, and 220+degrees on a daily basis is going to have any adverse affects on this transmission. What would have happened had I bought this Yukon from a closer dealership or had not taken the longer road trip; I probably could have driven years without noticing the higher transmission temp because the alarm doesn't go off until 266degrees and the temp gauge is not a default display, it has to be brought up from the menu.

Anyways, I feel like I have damaged goods and this has really put a damper on the new car buying experience. I will probably look at this transmission temp. gauge for the rest of my life! Should I ask for extra warranty on this transmission? Maybe even trade this Yukon in for a 2023? Anyone have a number or email to corporate?

The Denali loaner never went past 189degrees on the drive home and that was only for a minute when I was climbing the pass to get home. it averages about 160degrees most of the time.

Time to go and pick-up my Yukon! Wish me luck!
Ask the dealer service people this.
They may be able to get extended powertrain warranty for your, since was a mfg defect.
For sure should be a complete transmission fluid exchange, and a call to GM engineering (the computer probably tracks the max temp ever seen), and if it was overheated ever, they should give you a new trans.

OP
OP
A

Appleman88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ask the dealer service people this.
They may be able to get extended powertrain warranty for your, since was a mfg defect.
For sure should be a complete transmission fluid exchange, and a call to GM engineering (the computer probably tracks the max temp ever seen), and if it was overheated ever, they should give you a new trans.
Wow, really, new transmission?! I did speak with the mechanic who found the problem and he said he can't say if there is internal damage or not. I told them when I dropped it off to change the fluid regardless of what they found and I forgot to ask about this when I picked up the vehicle. But based of the written report they did not change the fluid which really erks me. At least this mechanic found the problem unlike the first dealer.
I am sure that the alarm sounds at 266degrees but not sure how much over that it went, but I think not much, if any, because I always pulled over. But with that being said, the problem for sure is resolved. The temp now stays at around 150degrees on average.
Do I put this behind me and finally try to enjoy my ride, or should I continue bitching about it and try to get more from GM? I did consider selling on Carmax and then ordering a new one but I would lose out on the sales tax which is like 6K. Anyways, thanks for the input.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d at least ask. Like I said, before you drive it too much, they may be able to pull out history codes from the TCM (transmission control module) and know how hot it got. It’s worth an ask…you definitely need a fluid change. I’d start w/ the service manager, be nice and cordial. Ask him to talk to the tech that found it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, really, new transmission?! I did speak with the mechanic who found the problem and he said he can't say if there is internal damage or not. I told them when I dropped it off to change the fluid regardless of what they found and I forgot to ask about this when I picked up the vehicle. But based of the written report they did not change the fluid which really erks me. At least this mechanic found the problem unlike the first dealer.
I am sure that the alarm sounds at 266degrees but not sure how much over that it went, but I think not much, if any, because I always pulled over. But with that being said, the problem for sure is resolved. The temp now stays at around 150degrees on average.
Do I put this behind me and finally try to enjoy my ride, or should I continue bitching about it and try to get more from GM? I did consider selling on Carmax and then ordering a new one but I would lose out on the sales tax which is like 6K. Anyways, thanks for the input.
A complete fluid exchange should be done at a minimum. My bet is that the transmission itself is going to be fine long-term. The problem with high temps is that is breaks down the fluid and the additive package in it faster. You caught it quickly, and 270ºF really is nothing in the context of modern fluids, seals and components, so the fact that your fluid was new likely protected your transmission. Vehicles have been running automatic transmissions without external coolers for decades - all of which likely experienced the temperatures yours did for their entire service lives. If they'll extend your warranty for you, then that's great. But I wouldn't sweat it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts