2022 Yukon Paint Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ketzer

Reaction score
Just took it in today - I know I sound like a negative Nancy, but they are beyond helpless. At first they had no clue what to do then determined it is probably covered under warranty but can only use their non-GMC body shop at a different domestic brand dealership which is booked through February. After taking it to the body shop the estimator said 1.5+ weeks once dropped off as they would have to squeeze me in between normal customers, all with no loaner or rental - maybe time to reach out to the area GM rep.
If I'm keeping the vehicle, I would want it fixed correctly, and right away.
I would document the dealerships responses and the bodyshops delay timeframe, then take it to a reputable shop in your area and have it fixed on your own dime.
You will probably get a lot better response from a body shop if you let them know you are paying as soon as the work is completed. Then reach out to GM with the bill.
GM will most likely balk and you will have to fight to get reimbursed, but at least your truck wont piss you off everytime you look at it....

Jeff-

OP
OP
B

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I'm keeping the vehicle, I would want it fixed correctly, and right away.
I would document the dealerships responses and the bodyshops delay timeframe, then take it to a reputable shop in your area and have it fixed on your own dime.
You will probably get a lot better response from a body shop if you let them know you are paying as soon as the work is completed. Then reach out to GM with the bill.
GM will most likely balk and you will have to fight to get reimbursed, but at least your truck wont piss you off everytime you look at it....

Jeff-
Jeff,

I have actually been stewing on the same thing this morning. I am going to take it to a reputable shop by my house on Monday just to get an idea of how much it is going to run. The dealership shop has terrible reviews for paint adhesion problems as of late.

My current through is I would rather them limit the repair area, even if the color is not perfectly blended than have to re-spray an entire quarter panel. Once all the gunk is off, it is such a small area I could live with a small imperfection.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is a petty problem, but my OCD does not allow me to view it that way.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in the grand scheme of things this is a petty problem, but my OCD does not allow me to view it that way.
I wouldnt consider it a petty problem at all. That imperfection is absolutely terrible and uncalled for. It is about as bad as letting a rig roll off the line with an entire fender completely missing altogether and saying “okay thats a wrap”! Give me an effing break gm…ridiculous.

Good luck on getting it fixed!

dcyy

Reaction score
Jeff,

I have actually been stewing on the same thing this morning. I am going to take it to a reputable shop by my house on Monday just to get an idea of how much it is going to run. The dealership shop has terrible reviews for paint adhesion problems as of late.

My current through is I would rather them limit the repair area, even if the color is not perfectly blended than have to re-spray an entire quarter panel. Once all the gunk is off, it is such a small area I could live with a small imperfection.

Sorry but I had to read your post twice to try and understand the problem. After waiting however long for a new 22 and paying $$$$ for it you do realize that it has a bumper to bumper warranty and it's the dealers responsibility to fix it. If your dealer doesn't have an on site certified body shop with computer matched paint (especially with tri-coats) then they should find one and provide a loaner. Good luck

Hrocks

Reaction score
I certainly feel your pain, having an $80k vehicle with crappy fit/finish. But I gotta tell ya, the fix may be worse than the problem. Some knucklehead is very likely going to hit the panel with a sander down through the zinc, to bare metal. (Those body panels are stamped from galvanized steel for corrosion resistance.) Depending on how long you're planning on keeping the vehicle, the sanded area may not age as well as the surrounding area. Also, the tri-coat is not a slam dunk to match. (As in certain light angles.) The "fix" could very well be something that you may never be able to "unsee", vs. a relatively minute ragged edge of bonding agent that's not perfect. You are probably the only one that will ever know it's there. A not perfectly matched panel is something anyone and everyone will see.

Dustindu4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hand detailed my 2022 and did my own Gloss It 9H quartz ceramic coating. I did notice about 4 or 5 imperfections in the factory paint. Mostly from contaminants underneath. My 2017 wasn't like that. Most body shops here are booked out till March so it's not worth it.

OP
OP
B

bvs999

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update. I spoke with the General Motors after sales rep that sent me to a body shop that does all or GMs "Corporate Work". They were able to get me in and out within 24 hours, which I am thankful for. I was not happy to have to mess with a factory finish, and the edge of the repair work is not perfect, but I don't want them to try again either and mess up the front of the panel, so I am just going to live with it. No one will know its there but me.

Ron McKuin

Reaction score
Just took it in today - I know I sound like a negative Nancy, but they are beyond helpless. At first they had no clue what to do then determined it is probably covered under warranty but can only use their non-GMC body shop at a different domestic brand dealership which is booked through February. After taking it to the body shop the estimator said 1.5+ weeks once dropped off as they would have to squeeze me in between normal customers, all with no loaner or rental - maybe time to reach out to the area GM rep.
I have not been able to GM to tell me that they have such a thing as an area rep? All I have been able to contact at GM are ladies ready from some playbook trying to answer my questions!!

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
I have not been able to GM to tell me that they have such a thing as an area rep? All I have been able to contact at GM are ladies ready from some playbook trying to answer my questions!!
Email Mary Barra
google her email address
she doesn’t answer of course, but their executive customer service or something like that does. It’s gotten my issues escalated because local dealerships are horrible.

Though, don’t get too excited, GM as a company sucks and the customer is low priority. It’s a travesty that I always gravitate to their design because their quality is trash