2022 Yukon Denali Diesel fuel injector failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barnum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had a fuel injector fail at 23k miles on my duramax on the interstate on Memorial Day. All the bells and whistles went off, check emission, real axel alert, real weird codes for the reported issue. Did not see any other posts on this on the forum but also know diesels are a minority here (checking to see if bud light will make me a duramax can) Part will be here Saturday fixed on Monday. Anyone heard of any issues? Hopefully it is a one off.

Thank you

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Barnum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did they tell you which injector # failed? There's a TSB for the wiring harness on injector #2 getting pinched by the noise insulation shield. Not an actual injector failure, but the service procedure tells the dealership to replace both the wiring harness and injector along with shaving off the foam from the noise insulation that causes the pinched wiring.

Thank you for the information, I will ask and report back.

OP
OP
B

Barnum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I received her back yesterday. It was actually cylinder 4. Mentioned a loose wire that caused a arch, short that took out the injector. No idea how the underpinning of diesel fuel injectors work. The dealership, two hours south of tampa treated me like gold Mike at Dixie GMC in Ft Myers Florida was first class. It sucks having a dead stick two hours from home coming back from a family vacation.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received her back yesterday. It was actually cylinder 4. Mentioned a loose wire that caused a arch, short that took out the injector. No idea how the underpinning of diesel fuel injectors work. The dealership, two hours south of tampa treated me like gold Mike at Dixie GMC in Ft Myers Florida was first class. It sucks having a dead stick two hours from home coming back from a family vacation.
Dixie is my dealer in FL when I'm there in the winter. They don't know me from Adam and have done the majority of warranty work on my vehicle at no charge and with a smile. For all the bashing most dealers get, these guys have treated me well also.

yourmomsshlong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had the same thing on my 2023 Denali Ultimate 6.2, 2 months after a lifter collapse. Bad injector on #6 cylinder. The codes are really weird. About to order a 2024 Ultimate XL with LM2 diesel hoping to avoid engine issues, so this is worrisome.

Had a fuel injector fail at 23k miles on my duramax on the interstate on Memorial Day. All the bells and whistles went off, check emission, real axel alert, real weird codes for the reported issue. Did not see any other posts on this on the forum but also know diesels are a minority here (checking to see if bud light will make me a duramax can) Part will be here Saturday fixed on Monday. Anyone heard of any issues? Hopefully it is a one off.

Thank you

Last edited:

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the same thing on my 2023 Denali Ultimate 6.2, 2 months after a lifter collapse. Bad injector on #6 cylinder. The codes are really weird. About to order a 2024 Ultimate XL with LM2 diesel hoping to avoid engine issues, so this is worrisome.
Enjoy life. Anything human made can fail. Doesn't mean it will

Morbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thank you
My 2022 Yukon Denali Duramax is in the shop now for a new injector for cylinder 5. It went out with about 25,000 miles on the odometer and did the same thing your's did with all the bells and whistles going off. Will post details when I have the paperwork on all of the work they performed.

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
Both the 6.6l and 3.0l diesels use a Denso fuel system. GM went to the Denso system after all the problems with the Bosch CP4 high pressure injection pump failures on the 6.6l. There have not been many issues with the Denso fuel system on either Duramax. They stopped using the Bosch fuel system in 2016 (L5P in 2017 was the 1st gen 6.6l to use the Denso fuel system).

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the 6.6l and 3.0l diesels use a Denso fuel system. GM went to the Denso system after all the problems with the Bosch CP4 high pressure injection pump failures on the 6.6l. There have not been many issues with the Denso fuel system on either Duramax. They stopped using the Bosch fuel system in 2016 (L5P in 2017 was the 1st gen 6.6l to use the Denso fuel system).
The 6.6's were the LB7's and it was the injectors, and the 2011 to 2017's with the CP4's. The LLY, LBZ, LMM, and LML saw very few failures from injectors or pumps. My son's LBZ, I bought it new, handed it down to him, 350k and still running the original injectors and pump. LBZ's were last non-DPF, non-DEF 6.6's built, and are sought after due to their reliability. Those 6.6's used the Bosch HPCR, which was a CP3 gear driven pressure pump. In 2011 the LML Duramax was introduced, which used the CP4 fuel system, and a new piezo solenoid injector, both were prone to issues.
The L5P has a Denso HP4 pump, which can't produce the rail pressures the CP4 and CP3 did, the injectors were changed from a Bosch Piezo (Used from 2011 to 2016), to a solenoid type produced by Denso to accomodate the lower fuel rail pressure of the HP4 pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep