2022 Yukon Denali: Dealer Markup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inventory is going to continue to be barebones. The chip shortage is only going get worse. Ukraine makes over half of the neon that is needed for every semiconductor in the world. They haven’t been producing neon since the war. They probably won’t start producing again for a long time. No other company in any other country can simply just start to make up for that production that is missing. That’ll take years. Eventually we’re going to eat into all of the reserves of neon and there will be a major problem with producing things that are dependent on chips. This applies to outside the auto industry too. I’ve seen estimates that say this will take 6 months for the reserve to be entirely depleted.

Since every vehicle these days relies on chips, they’re going to have to either start selling cars with zero features or more cars will be made and sitting in lots waiting for chips for a long long time.

If the demand for these types of vehicles remains high, and the inventory remains low, dealer markups will continue to exist and potentially become even greater.

Mrs and Misses Smith who earn a nice living and want to buy an $75k Yukon Denali don’t care about a recession. And if they really want that car, they may spend $10-$25k in a markup during a recession just to get there hands on one.

Inventory is 100% for sure going to remain low due to chip shortages. I was reading an article this morning where Volkswagen (currently the #2 largest vehicle manufacturer in the world) announced they are planning on the chip shortage/vehicle shortage to last into 2024 at this point...

Low inventory and crazy dealer markups will continue to be the norm for at least a couple more years, maybe longer if the war drags on or escalates

Sunseeker1974

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase/order a brand new 2022 Yukon Denali, fully loaded, and the dealer I’m talking wants a $9k markup. I essentially told him no thanks.

Has anyone recently ordered or purchased something similar without a markup? I know the car market is tight, but that just seems ridiculous.
I have a nice Denali on order, my second one from same dealer. They only charge full msrp plus $499 First place addendum, which is ceramic coating and window tinting. Not a bad deal.
Nimnicht GMC, Jacksonville, FL.

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I remember reading about gm clamping down on dealerships that overcharge. Google gm dealers over charging and you will find many articles about this.

crazielectrician

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase/order a brand new 2022 Yukon Denali, fully loaded, and the dealer I’m talking wants a $9k markup. I essentially told him no thanks.

Has anyone recently ordered or purchased something similar without a markup? I know the car market is tight, but that just seems ridiculous.
I got a 22 Yukon , slt4wd, blue, premium pack and tow package at 73,600 out the door price. In upstate NY. Ordered new, took about 2 1/2 months.
The dealers in the city are scumbags.

hjrecla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I purchased a 2021 Tahoe Premier with a $3k markup.

firsttimetahoe

Reaction score
I remember reading about gm clamping down on dealerships that overcharge. Google gm dealers over charging and you will find many articles about this.

8/10 car buyers in the entire country are paying over MSRP….for all makes and models.

Joehartman27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Pretty common in a lot of markets. We lucked out and had a local dealer that does not play that game and got ours at MSRP.

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
8/10 car buyers in the entire country are paying over MSRP….for all makes and models.
Yup! I still have no clue how people are able to pay those prices. Crap will hit the fan in the next few years when payments can't be made.