2022 Tahoe Premier 3.0L First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVAHokie

Reaction score
Wish they made that for the captain seats. We have big protectors that go under the car seats and up the back. Only thing that gets bad is sides of doors when my 2 year old thinks it’s funny to throw her bottle.
We (the kids) just don't do much eating or drinking in the car. My 3.5 year old gets a water bottle on trips but any super long trip (5 hours plus) we will leave to time it when he's napping or during middle of night. Also stop every 2-3 hours for snacks or bio breaks.

I have seat protectors for my Jeep but honestly they left marks worse than anything the kids have done.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had anything as big as my Yukon. The space is intoxicating. Unless this vehicle totally flops on its a$$, I'd probably never go back to anything smaller. All passengers much more comfortable.. room for everyone and their stuff too...
Best road vehicle I've ever had. Give the Dmax time before you become critical of the mileage. I get 21-22 at its very worst city mileage, but easily hit 28-31 on the hwy. Remember 6.2's and 5.3's get more like 14-16 city sometimes less than that if your foot is in it...
This, my friend is what happened to me after buying my first Tahoe in 1996. Got drunk on the space, comfort, and utility. Check my sig…still a full size GM guy. Logged over 750K miles in them since that day in October of 96 when I pulled the trigger. Car seats in the 98 through College move ins in the 13 and 22; and tons of family fun in between. Hope you have as many great years and great trucks as I’ve had over the past 26 years. If you are an active family, no better choice!!!

OP
OP
S

sschevelle4

Reaction score
Thought I’d add an update to this for anyone interested. We now have about 3100 miles on the new Duramax Tahoe and still love it. It gets lots of compliments and it’s still one of the only diesels I’ve seen around here (bragging rights). My best 50 mile mpg was 29.7 with about 1000 miles on the car. At 1k miles I switched it to the 450 mile average, which is holding around 26.5 - 27.5. With a full tank that’s about 675 mile range. In 3100 miles we are only down 1 bar of DEF, at that rate we should get 10k on a tank of DEF (no towing). It definitely likes 2 lane 40-60mph roads for fuel economy. We’ve taken it on a few short 1 hour highway trips and I’ve noticed cruising 75-80mph will decrease the mpg a bit to an average of 25 or so. If you’re someone who can keep it under 70, you could probably do much better.
Next problem, diesel is right around $6.00/gal around here; that hurts.
The only issue we’ve had so far is the rear lift gate button requiring two clicks. It happens every time the car sits overnight and probably half the time after than that. Kind of annoying and when it happens my wife looks at me like I’m the one who built the car. Clearly my fault.
Can’t say enough good about this powertrain setup. It feels so effortless like the motor never has to work, rpm doesn’t go above 2k in most situations.
Next, I see so many people penny pinching on the cost/benefit of the diesel. Really? This is at minimum a $65k car. If you can swing that, the couple hundred dollar difference each year in fuel +/- should be of no concern. That said, I think the 5.3 or 6.2 would beat the diesel in a flat out quarter mile but who is really using a Tahoe for that? Moral of the story? ORDER ONE you won’t be disappointed.

Here’s a link for the penny pinchers. My last Tahoe never did better than 18mpg on gas. If you go with 27mpg diesel, you start to save real money when diesel is within $1.00 of gas.

14EBFE91-491C-4380-B1A8-520A9FE5D2B7.jpeg

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I’d add an update to this for anyone interested. We now have about 3100 miles on the new Duramax Tahoe and still love it. It gets lots of compliments and it’s still one of the only diesels I’ve seen around here (bragging rights). My best 50 mile mpg was 29.7 with about 1000 miles on the car. At 1k miles I switched it to the 450 mile average, which is holding around 26.5 - 27.5. With a full tank that’s about 675 mile range. In 3100 miles we are only down 1 bar of DEF, at that rate we should get 10k on a tank of DEF (no towing). It definitely likes 2 lane 40-60mph roads for fuel economy. We’ve taken it on a few short 1 hour highway trips and I’ve noticed cruising 75-80mph will decrease the mpg a bit to an average of 25 or so. If you’re someone who can keep it under 70, you could probably do much better.
Next problem, diesel is right around $6.00/gal around here; that hurts.
The only issue we’ve had so far is the rear lift gate button requiring two clicks. It happens every time the car sits overnight and probably half the time after than that. Kind of annoying and when it happens my wife looks at me like I’m the one who built the car. Clearly my fault.
Can’t say enough good about this powertrain setup. It feels so effortless like the motor never has to work, rpm doesn’t go above 2k in most situations.
Next, I see so many people penny pinching on the cost/benefit of the diesel. Really? This is at minimum a $65k car. If you can swing that, the couple hundred dollar difference each year in fuel +/- should be of no concern. That said, I think the 5.3 or 6.2 would beat the diesel in a flat out quarter mile but who is really using a Tahoe for that? Moral of the story? ORDER ONE you won’t be disappointed.

Here’s a link for the penny pinchers. My last Tahoe never did better than 18mpg on gas. If you go with 27mpg diesel, you start to save real money when diesel is within $1.00 of gas.

View attachment 384824
Ya, this whole Diesel thing is pretty ridiculous. How much intelligence does it take to understand this whole country runs on Diesel? There should be dedicated refineries and resources that keep its pipeline separate, reasonable and full. Passenger diesel is a drop in the bucket to industrial, trucking, Rail, and heating. It's tough seeing it 6.00, but it doesn't diminish my desire or loyalty to this engine. It is still the engine of choice for this big land yacht....