2022 Tahoe Premier 3.0L First Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sschevelle4

Reaction score
Picked up our ‘22 Tahoe Premier last week and thought I’d share some first impressions. Ordered 1/14/22, delivered 7/30/22. We went with Midnight Blue, Premier trim, 3.0L Duramax, rear bench, and pano roof. It is my wife’s car, she commutes about 30 miles daily on 2 lane 45mph roads, hopefully that’s enough to keep the diesel happy.

-Overall very happy with it, it is twice the car of our ‘17 Tahoe LS that we traded. It is worth noting we put 76k miles on that one and never had a problem with it other than the A/C going out last month.
-The ‘22 is noticeably bigger inside and out. It definitely eats up more space in the 2 car garage.
-The 3.0L Duramax is a nice change. I really never liked the 5.3 / 6 speed in the old one. It shifted weird and I noticed every single time it went to 4cyl mode. Hated that. The diesel is nearly silent at idle and while driving it’s not any louder than a gas engine, just sounds different. Plenty of pep getting around town and buttery smooth shifting from the 10 spd. No highway trips yet. The wife says it feels a little more “trucky” but what does she know…
-MPG is around 21 right now after 350 miles, expecting & hoping that goes up a bit. I’d be happy with 24-25 overall. The lifetime MPG on our ‘17 was 18.0.
-I had the dealer put a pinstripe on it and I got a set of SmartLiner floor liners. I’ve always been a Weather Tech guy but I haven’t been real happy with the last couple sets. These seem great and they’re about half the price. Thinking about some mild window tint and maybe some mud flaps.
Just thought I’d share! Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

CE8CA5E0-E257-419A-B60D-595DB1910118.jpeg
0C595B7A-E0AC-4857-AFEF-B29D7EBF8081.jpeg
96619687-DBAC-4390-845F-F4990A5BD193.jpegFDF84A87-5440-457A-8FE2-166C90477822.jpeg
9CFC8D3D-4F25-4409-BBF7-BF7EAC473859.jpeg

ktpinnacle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up our ‘22 Tahoe Premier last week and thought I’d share some first impressions. Ordered 1/14/22, delivered 7/30/22. We went with Midnight Blue, Premier trim, 3.0L Duramax, rear bench, and pano roof. It is my wife’s car, she commutes about 30 miles daily on 2 lane 45mph roads, hopefully that’s enough to keep the diesel happy.

-Overall very happy with it, it is twice the car of our ‘17 Tahoe LS that we traded. It is worth noting we put 76k miles on that one and never had a problem with it other than the A/C going out last month.
-The ‘22 is noticeably bigger inside and out. It definitely eats up more space in the 2 car garage.
-The 3.0L Duramax is a nice change. I really never liked the 5.3 / 6 speed in the old one. It shifted weird and I noticed every single time it went to 4cyl mode. Hated that. The diesel is nearly silent at idle and while driving it’s not any louder than a gas engine, just sounds different. Plenty of pep getting around town and buttery smooth shifting from the 10 spd. No highway trips yet. The wife says it feels a little more “trucky” but what does she know…
-MPG is around 21 right now after 350 miles, expecting & hoping that goes up a bit. I’d be happy with 24-25 overall. The lifetime MPG on our ‘17 was 18.0.
-I had the dealer put a pinstripe on it and I got a set of SmartLiner floor liners. I’ve always been a Weather Tech guy but I haven’t been real happy with the last couple sets. These seem great and they’re about half the price. Thinking about some mild window tint and maybe some mud flaps.

View attachment 377610
View attachment 377611
View attachment 377612View attachment 377613
View attachment 377614
Nice. Looking forward to what mileage you get on your first family trip.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome.

Good choice on the all weather mats. Since it looks like you have smaller children they will come in very handy and easy to clean, wipe or rinse anything dropped. We recently travelled and took our labradoodle out on her first road trip and well 30 mins later she got car sick and was able to rinse off fairly easy lol.

RVAHokie

Reaction score

View attachment 377610
View attachment 377611
View attachment 377612View attachment 377613
View attachment 377614
That last picture is why I’m getting a 23 Yukon. Two car seats in my Jeep GC has me in the dash. Looking forward to the extra space

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That last picture is why I’m getting a 23 Yukon. Two car seats in my Jeep GC has me in the dash. Looking forward to the extra space
I was looking at these pictures and when I came to that one with the car seats, this dad of five (all in some form of a car seat) let out a big "Oh please GM, just build my Yukon XL already!" (Currently in a 2014 Honda Pilot)

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had anything as big as my Yukon. The space is intoxicating. Unless this vehicle totally flops on its a$$, I'd probably never go back to anything smaller. All passengers much more comfortable.. room for everyone and their stuff too...
Best road vehicle I've ever had. Give the Dmax time before you become critical of the mileage. I get 21-22 at its very worst city mileage, but easily hit 28-31 on the hwy. Remember 6.2's and 5.3's get more like 14-16 city sometimes less than that if your foot is in it...

OP
OP
S

sschevelle4

Reaction score
For the record the rear-facing is a Britax car seat that is humongous and the front pass seat is able to be all the way back. My little one is 18 mos so she’ll be forward-facing soon.
What is everyone doing to protect the rear seats from a couple of rotten toddlers? We have towels and blankets in there now which are easy to just throw in the wash. But they look cheesy in such a nice car.

Edit: is there any way to rotate the pics? Not sure why a couple came out sideways

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the record the rear-facing is a Britax car seat that is humongous and the front pass seat is able to be all the way back. My little one is 18 mos so she’ll be forward-facing soon.
What is everyone doing to protect the rear seats from a couple of rotten toddlers? We have towels and blankets in there now which are easy to just throw in the wash. But they look cheesy in such a nice car.

Edit: is there any way to rotate the pics? Not sure why a couple came out sideways
We have the same Britax convertible as you - it's on the passenger side because I'm 6' and if it's on the driver's side it means my knees are in the dash. Amazing you can have that big of a car seat and still have the seat tracked all the way back... :envy: Only three more months and our little guy gets to be forward facing.

As far as interior protection, when we get our Yukon XL we will likely buy this interior protection cover from GM - https://accessories.chevrolet.com/p...s=5&year=2023&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=98050

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the same Britax convertible as you - it's on the passenger side because I'm 6' and if it's on the driver's side it means my knees are in the dash. Amazing you can have that big of a car seat and still have the seat tracked all the way back... :envy: Only three more months and our little guy gets to be forward facing.

As far as interior protection, when we get our Yukon XL we will likely buy this interior protection cover from GM - https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/rear-bench-seat-cover-by-aries™-manufacturing-in-black-associated-accessories-19367173?model=Suburban&modelId=21472&bodyId=11&body=Sport Utility&wheelId=771&trimId=430&trim=LT&driveId=8&drive=4WD&engineId=17881&engine=3.0L L6 DIESEL&bodyNumDoors=5&year=2023&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=98050
Wish they made that for the captain seats. We have big protectors that go under the car seats and up the back. Only thing that gets bad is sides of doors when my 2 year old thinks it’s funny to throw her bottle.

OP
OP
S

sschevelle4

Reaction score

As far as interior protection, when we get our Yukon XL we will likely buy this interior protection cover from GM - https://accessories.chevrolet.com/product/rear-bench-seat-cover-by-aries™-manufacturing-in-black-associated-accessories-19367173?model=Suburban&modelId=21472&bodyId=11&body=Sport Utility&wheelId=771&trimId=430&trim=LT&driveId=8&drive=4WD&engineId=17881&engine=3.0L L6 DIESEL&bodyNumDoors=5&year=2023&make=Chevrolet&categoryId=98050
I saw that cover and considered it or one like it. My only thought was if you had to flip up a seat to access the 3rd row, you’d have to take the whole thing off. It also doesn’t appear to have access for the LATCH anchors. We rarely (if ever) use the 3rd row though. Maybe I’ll just look for some nicer dark colored towels. I get annoyed about spending decent money on something like that and then not liking it